This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What is the best way to cable my small office with Cat6?
06-06-2014, 09:44 AM
What is the best way to cable my small office with Cat6?
I am not an expert by any means so please excuse my ignorance...

I just cabled my small office with Cat6 (only 6 connections). All the cables are running into a small closet. There I have my cable modem already connected. I plan on connecting my Cat6 ends to an 8-port Cat6 patch panel which will then connect to an 8-port unmanaged Gigabit switch via 1ft Cat6 patch cables. At the 6 individual office wall plates I will be directly connecting my VoiP phones. The phones will then directly connect to each person's PC directly as they have ethernet ports for this. There is no shared server involved at this point. My cable internet plan is only 30Mbps/10Mbps so the only reason for the Cat6 is Gigabit speed within the office.

My questions are the following:

- In what order do I connect my cable modem to the patch panel, switch or wireless router? Does it matter if I use a Cat6 or Cat5 cable?
- If, for example, the model is attached to the switch does it matter if a Cat5 vs Cat6 cable is used to connect to the wireless router or patch panel? Since we are only using Cat6 for interoffice use does it matter?
- Does it matter if we use Cat5 vs Cat6 cables from the VoiP phones to our PCs since our internet speed is still in a Cat5 category?

Thanks for the feedback!
*modem, not "model" for question #2

I am just unclear if I should use Cat6 patch cables for everything since everything else is cabled this way or if it does not matter to specific circumstances.
Thanks for the feedback and the PoE recommendation. Can you tell me if the "TRENDnet 8-Port Gigabit GREENnet PoE+ Switch (TPE-TG80g)" will be able to power 5 PolyCom 550 VoiP phones?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
What is the best way to cable my small office with Cat6? - kikelchris - 06-06-2014 09:44 AM
[] - I Like Stories - 06-06-2014, 09:53 AM
[] - V. Perkins - 06-06-2014, 10:07 AM
[] - Joie - 06-06-2014, 10:24 AM