This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Taking pics at a friends wedding?
11-09-2012, 09:17 AM

Whilst you acknowledge that you are not a professional that is no reason not to be professional in your approach. The scenario divides into the following areas :

1) Kit - as you already have a reasonable kit it is simply a question of selecting the best lens and my preference is to use the 24-85 mm; I have a 24-120mm lens for my Nikon and it covers around 90% of my images.

As a thought I would suggest you visit the venues in advance and take some test shots - if only to satisfy yourself that there will be enough light and confirm precisely what lenses are needed.

2) Planning - There is so much involved in weddings that it is best to be ready for as much as possible. In my experience the exchange of rings is THE most important part of a wedding and you need to be close enough to capture this once-in-a-lifetime moment. That needs a talk with the person conducting the service to let him know what YOU want and seek guidance on what HE will allow in order not to disturb the solemnity of the ceremony

3) To do list - check with the bride and groom beforehand PRECISELY what photographs they want. Liaise with the best man beforehand so that after the ceremony he can ensure that the groups (posing with the bride / groom / bride & groom) are assembled and photographed. The photographer needs to concentrate on taking the photographs whilst the best man needs to concentrate on making sure the correct groups are assembled in the right sequence and at the right time.

4) After the formal pictures are taken simply take informal pictures of the reception and the departure on honeymoon taking as many as you want.

Once the wedding is completed then produce your CD with all the images (formal and informal) and pass to the couple so that they can select the 20 or so images that will form their Wedding Album; they may want this on CD or they may want a formal Wedding Album but this can be discussed after the event.

It is important to realise that on the day the bride and groom will be so involved in the event that they will unable to have any impact on what happens therefore it is vital to have everything agreed before the day so that the happy couple can concentrate on being hosts and you can concentrate on the photography.

I hope this guidance helps but enjoy the day - enjoy the experience; Good Luck
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - Mark - 11-09-2012, 09:17 AM
[] - FRED - 11-09-2012 09:17 AM
[] - Ara57 - 11-09-2012, 09:17 AM
[] - A man - 11-09-2012, 09:17 AM
[] - Hot Shot - 11-09-2012, 09:17 AM