This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mother in law driving me crazy....?
11-09-2012, 09:53 AM

It's not just a first time mum thing, it's a first time granny thing :-)

My MIL went cuckoo over my daughter when she was born, as well as one SIL. They both seemed totally oblivious to how overbearing they were - my SIL came to visit (unannounced) once, when my daughter was just a few days old and stayed for NINE hours! Both my husband and I were shattered but she never seemed to notice...or care!

They do outgrow it but it does no harm at all to get your future husband to deal with it, gently. Your MIL is simply very excited, proud and wants to show her grandson off to the whole world. As it's his mother, your man deals with it. Get him to set gentle boundaries - every other weekend you can have tea with her or something. It's best to visit her home because then you can escape when YOU want, it's a lot harder to kick her out if she's in your home ;-) But you're absolutely right to get upset, that's your child first and foremost, not hers. Also, I would recommend emailing photos to friends but not putting anything on facebook for a long while (why is your MIL on your FB page?! You can quietly defriend her, by the way ;-) ) so that she's not over-involved that way too.

Get your man to lay down the law, whatever the two of you decide. I promise you, they do get better and it is worth keeping the grandparents around, not only do they come in handy for babysitting later but also the relationship between your son and his granny will be a gorgeous thing to watch later. My daughter used to be pretty scared of her granny as granny is a bit excitable around small babies (and animals!) but these days they're inseperable. Just get your man to deal with this, stay out of it as much as possible yourself or it'll lead to more problems for you long term. Good luck :-)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Mother in law driving me crazy....? - Val - 11-09-2012, 09:45 AM
[] - Tia - 11-09-2012, 09:53 AM
[] - Bri - 11-09-2012, 09:53 AM
[] - snowwillow20 - 11-09-2012, 09:53 AM
[] - Quietidea279 - 11-09-2012, 09:53 AM
[] - Skibabe - 11-09-2012 09:53 AM