This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mother in law driving me crazy...?
11-09-2012, 10:04 AM

I think it's a little bit your mother in law not observing boundaries and a little bit first time mom. As old as i am, i remember feeling very similar emotions when my daughter was born. Trust me on this, though. In a few months, you are going to be grateful for your MIL's help and attention. Whatever you do, hold on to your patience, and don't burn any bridges. What you need to do first is inform her that the next few weekends are going to be family bonding time between you, your fiance, and your son. Things have been sort of crazy the last several weeks and you need some downtime together as a family. Also, point out that with flu season around the corner you are going to start limiting his contacts and time spent in public. He's too young to be exposed to fall and winter bugs if you can help

Then, when she comes to your home unannounced and uninvited you have to learn to tell her firmly, but politely, no. This isn't a good day for you. Why don't you call me next week, and maybe we can plan something. If she wants to take your son, you say, not today. This is my time with my son. You just have to learn to be assertive with her so that she is clear about your boundaries. When it comes to her friends, those are her people to show off her grandson to. It would be different if she were butting in with your family and friends, but she should be able to crow with her own people. That does not mean she gets to hand off your son to them. Again, you are limiting contacts for his protection. Say..."Please do not let people hold Liam right now. He might get sick with all the bugs going around this time of year."

In a few months when your baby is more active, you are really going to need a break. Won't you be glad to know you have someone you can trust, and who loves him, to pick up the slack? She will be so pleased that you asked. She just needs to back off a bit so you can grow into your mom shoes and let that happen.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Mother in law driving me crazy...? - Val - 11-09-2012, 09:55 AM
[] - Rebecca - 11-09-2012 10:04 AM
[] - Vicky Parker - 11-09-2012, 10:04 AM
[] - Fyre - 11-09-2012, 10:04 AM