This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Good dog breed for college student?
03-30-2014, 06:42 AM
Good dog breed for college student?
I currently go to school in the small town of Unity, Maine. I will be soon looking for a good adoptable dog around the area.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on what breed of dogs I should look into. My campus offers a large amount of hiking trails as well as a small but open campus with a huge animal friendly student and faculty population.

I want a small to medium dog, but I am not opposed to the larger breeds. Mainly I just want a dog that gets along well with a lot of new people and doesn't mind hanging out and being walked by my friends. I'd like a loyal dog, one that comes when I call and with the proper training, can be walked without a leash on campus.

I need a breed that is known to do well in cars, as Unity is 6 hours away from my actual home. Also a breed that does decent in the cold is a must. I was looking at Malamutes and Akitas but the grooming is just too much for me too keep up with on a daily basis.
A few other of my choices have been beagles, Catahoula Leopard Dogs and possibly huskies.
Energy levels aren't really a problem as I am out on trails almost every day. Also, I'd be bringing my dog to campus which is about a 30 minute walk one way. Along with the walks, hikes, fields and swimming options, it shouldn't be much of an issue. I will be with the dog for about 12 of the 24 hours in a weekday and when I have classes (which are about 50 min each) or work my roommates and campus friends are all willing to take care of them

I will be leaving school without debt and working a summer job at home and a school season job in my college town so I will have enough resources to take care of my pup. After all, I am taking animal behavior, training and other captive animal and wildlife classes.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Good dog breed for college student? - Cody - 03-30-2014 06:42 AM
[] - Justin Patient - 03-30-2014, 06:57 AM
[] - Nick - 03-30-2014, 07:00 AM
[] - dogs - 03-30-2014, 07:14 AM
[] - MacBryan - 03-30-2014, 07:18 AM
[] - ♫♪♫♫♪ - 03-30-2014, 07:21 AM
[] - 722 - 03-30-2014, 07:25 AM