This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
(Writers) Do you like this short paragraph?
03-30-2014, 04:09 PM

Overall I kind of like its simplicity and sense of mystery. It's interesting - it makes me curious.
I do, however, have some suggestions/comments:

1. I know you are trying to avoid dumping detail on the reader and I honestly can't express how much I appreciate that. (So many writers in YA do the opposite!!) However, I still think you need a bit more descriptive language just to steer the reader's imagination in the right direction. In some places your writing also sounds too robotic-like, so this would help avoid this.
For example:

"The sun arose, sending a vague hint of light across the dull grey sky."

"The fight still went on. Two dragons stood in the arena, the cheers of thousands encircling them. The dirt beneath their broken claws had been soaked with blood which continued to stream from deep gashes covering their scaly forms.
They could barely stand on their hind legs. They had endured too much."

2. Birds are usually active before sunrise, yet the way you have written it, it sounds like they have only just begun to wake. Maybe: "Birds flew tiredly over what was once a beautiful sky."

3. Within 3 sentences, the words "arena" is used twice. Try to change this by substituting it with some kind of description of the arena or use a different word (eg. stadium)

These are just personal suggestions - feel free to ignore any/all of them. Please tell me why you don't agree with anything if that is the case. I know my writing style still needs a lot of work also. Hope I was helpful.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - OceanFreak - 03-30-2014, 03:25 PM
[] - Question Mark - 03-30-2014, 03:30 PM
[] - Sami Yep - 03-30-2014, 03:31 PM
[] - Charz XD - 03-30-2014, 03:40 PM
[] - Annie P - 03-30-2014, 03:55 PM
[] - Emma - 03-30-2014 04:09 PM