This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Writers: Would you rather:?
04-03-2014, 07:24 PM

Yay! I am so in the mood to answer these kind of questions!

1) Write a bad novel that was a commercial success or write a novel that was a literary success with industry elites (but the book was a flop with readers)?
Which one am I more passionate about? I'd say commercial success, I've always wanted to reach out to a reader, and I'd be happy if I could do that.

2) Teach writing at the university level or high school level?
I feel too unexperienced to answer this question because I've only been to secondary school out of the two options. High school... No. You get people there who don't want to be there and I don't think I'd be good in a classroom environment. In Uni people actually want to be there and I feel like I'm actually learning something that I can apply to more book (we've had a few Uni taster day sessions which is what I'm basing this on). In school it's just essay essay essay.

3) Teach a writing course at a writer's conference or teach a writing course online?
Online.

3) Write a short story or a novel?
NOVEL! Short stories are too... short. I can never write a story realistically if I feel restricted.

4) Go on a blog tour or a physical book tour?
Er... Physical book tour. Come on, that would be so exciting. Nerve-wracking but fun.

5) Have a facebook author page or a twitter account?
Twitter. More publicity when advertising for my demographic, even though I always forget my Twitter password.

6) Write a book series or write a stand alone novel?
That depends on the idea, but I'm not the best at deciding a solid ending so book series. That way I get to keep it going, keep my characters alive.

7) Write a serial for a magazine or write a novel?
Novel. (Always choose fiction, always choose fiction, always choose fiction, always choose...)

8) Self-publish or publish with a trade publisher?
This is so what I'm contemplating at the moment (even though I'm nowhere near publishing). I used to always want to be published with a trade publisher, and regarded self-publishing as cheating. I was wrong, I was so wrong. Self-publishing is not cheating.
Now I like the idea of self-publishing because it's more independent and you can do a lot yourself.
Trade publishing... I think it's my dream. I *think* it is. Damn. I don't think I'm scared of getting rejected from them because that's inevitable at one stage or another, but I am scared of being a failure for them. I don't like business...
Self-publishing seems so much harder, and when I say that I mean harder to advertise and get out there. But if you do it right then you could be successful.
I don't know. Can I try both? Haha.
Might have to pass on this question.
(My heart is still saying trade publishing. I know I still want that... but I think I'm only just realising how hard it is).

9) Have control over your title or have control over how your cover design?
Cover design. Cover design will draw more people in, plus if you write the title in a cool font, who cares what it's called? Lol. I can't stand bad covers.

10) Have a movie based on your book or a tv show based on your book?
Hmm... both can be done well. (See The Hunger Games movie and Game of Thrones TV series, both of which I like as much as the books). Personally, I like TV series better and think that generally appear more realistic to me, so I'd go for that. But if it's what I think will be more popular with readers, for the novel I'm writing now, I'd pick movie.

11) Have Stephen King blurb your book or have J K Rowling blurb your book?
JK Rowling. I think she suits my novel more.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Writers: Would you rather:? - Joss - 04-03-2014, 06:24 PM
[] - 543 - 04-03-2014, 06:37 PM
[] - The Writer - 04-03-2014, 06:51 PM
[] - David - 04-03-2014, 06:58 PM
[] - Miss T - 04-03-2014, 07:06 PM
[] - Jasmin♥ - 04-03-2014, 07:14 PM
[] - Gemi - 04-03-2014, 07:23 PM
[] - 244 - 04-03-2014 07:24 PM
[] - Chae - 04-03-2014, 07:32 PM