This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Question for professional photographers - discouragement?
04-08-2014, 07:15 PM
Question for professional photographers - discouragement?
I am a "rising" editorial photographer, constantly pushing myself aesthetically and creatively. I live in a very very very small area so currently my options for work, models, hair/make up artists, stylists, and other such resources is extremely limited. I have a minor following online (blog/instagram), people wanting to "do what I do" which, to them, is "take pretty pictures". Is it wrong to be discouraged by this? My audience doesn't understand my concepts, or the hard work that goes BEHIND the image? Even the "models" (not real models just pretty girls I approach to shoot with) I work with don't take me seriously as a professional, I suppose because I don't charge them, they think they can hound me for hundreds of photos per shoot. It is so frustrating because they don't understand, no matter how much I try to explain, that if I am not 100% satisfied with the photo I do not want it out there with my name on it, as this is what I want to do for my CAREER. When they can take pictures of themselves with their iphones and call that a photoshoot and have 10/50 pictures where they look good, throw an iphone filter on it and then they're a photographer. They have their parents go out and buy them 2,000 dollar DSLR's they don't know how to use. Is it completely absurd that this discourages me? AND I AM ONLY 20. I can't even imagine how you older, more experienced photographers feel about this up and coming generation of "photographers". I can't stand these kids that hop on the bandwagon of "selfie photography" where they get a camera , take "artsy" pictures of themselves and gather tens of thousands of followers on instagram or flickr that all think that is the creme de la creme of photography! Is this where photography is going and I just don't understand? I guess, what I am asking is how do you deal with being discouraged with photography to the point where you want to give up?
Thank you all for your feedback.
fhotoace - you're right, I do feel like my audience isn't the right audience, but hopefully it will grow into something more.
Bobby- it doesn't seem like you actually read my question? It doesn't have anything to do with my career or my client, any mention of where I am as a photographer was just a baseline for you to know where my opinion is coming from.
B K - yes I do have my own website, you kind of missed the point of my question though.
joedlh - I completely agree with you, I'm not sitting around twaddling my thumbs and staring at my camera waiting for someone to hire me. I have a real job haha, but it would be nice for photography to be my full time job, but that isn't in my near future.
Steve P - thank you for your constructive input, I will look into it!
Matt - I do agree with you, I am shooting little fish in a small pond. I never said I wasn't getting paid for my work, and who I am and how well I do it is besides

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Question for professional photographers - discouragement? - Ohmy - 04-08-2014 07:15 PM
[] - fhotoace - 04-08-2014, 07:23 PM
[] - Bobby - 04-08-2014, 07:32 PM
[] - Harry Potter - 04-08-2014, 07:41 PM
[] - B K - 04-08-2014, 07:45 PM
[] - joedlh - 04-08-2014, 07:51 PM
[] - Steve P - 04-08-2014, 07:55 PM
[] - Matt - 04-08-2014, 07:58 PM
[] - Photofox - 04-08-2014, 08:05 PM