This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is there a way to get my mother and her boyfriend to accept me on my religious standpoints?
06-10-2014, 05:01 PM

They shouldn't force their religious or political beliefs on you, but you also have to understand how very much your viewpoint hurts them. They think there is an all-powerful magical being that protects them and this is part of what gives them strength and gives their life meaning. When you poke holes in that, you are forcing them to face a very scary world alone (no magic daddy or mommy in the sky) and the idea that you might go to hell, which they believe is real. You're probably not going to get them to accept your viewpoint, because it runs counter to their upbringing, traditions, hopes, beliefs, culture and values. At best, they might someday accept that you're not a religious person, but that's probably all you're going to get. Ever see a little kid with a pacifier, security blanket or teddy bear? When you try to take it away, they freak out. So, if you want your parents to settle down, you're going to have to stop trying to take away their teddy bear, ok? On Facebook, change your privacy settings so they don't see your atheist posts. At home, don't be disrespectful during grace. Just decline. "No, I'd rather not offend anyone." Or say something thankful. "I'm grateful to mom for working so hard to make dinner." You don't have to be an ****** about it. You have to live with these people, at least until you grow up and move out. Be the mature one, and let them be the immature ones. It's not forever.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - ProfGene.Togolot - 06-10-2014, 04:45 PM
[] - Firefly Flame - 06-10-2014 05:01 PM