This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I'm 30 and still in the closet what should I do?
06-12-2014, 02:17 PM
I'm 30 and still in the closet what should I do?
I am gay and I accepted my sexuality when I was in high school. I grew up in a very homophobic country where the majority of the population is muslim. Me and my parents are NOT muslim but my parents are homophobic(more importantly not very familiar with homosexuality). I always hid my sexuality and it wasn't that hard as I am not a feminine guy.
I came to the US about 7 years ago but I am still on a student visa. I might or might not be able to get a green card and guarantee my permanent residency. I always had the fear to have to go back to the country I grew up(and I hate that country) and feared of revealing that I am gay. People might say come out when in the US and hide it when/if you have to go back. But it is not that easy in this era when facebook and etc makes everything public so easily. Last summer I came out to my only/best friend who totally accepted me as who I am. I know he would keep secrets perfectly but I never talked to anyone since then. Without having a facebook account and making your picture and yourself semi-public it is almost impossible to have a reliable relationship because people think there is something wrong and I am hiding something.
I have never had any kind of sexual or romantic relationship with anyone in my life. I just turned 30 and I am trying to find an employer who can sponsor my green card. Even though media portrays coming out as an easy process and it is a discrimination not to hire someone based on sexuality homophobic employers can always find a reason to fire/don't hire a gay employee. But if I cannot find an employer who would sponsor my green card I would go back to that hell. I know from my previous experience that many employers check candidate engineers facebook or social media records by just googling so I cannot make it public but it would be almost impossible to find a boyfriend by just looking around having no facebook. US immigration laws are very strict and harsh. My whole life is full or misery and I don't know what to do.

Do you think coming out of closet would be a wrong decision in my situation. I don't know I am strong person but I am scared that life is passing and I have missed many things and now I am 30.

thanks very much for your comments
okay maybe I might be misunderstood. pls ignore anything i wrote about facebook. I am scared of going back to that homophobic country and that prevents me from coming out. I always have a fear that people will find that somehow. that's the point.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
I'm 30 and still in the closet what should I do? - Nihan - 06-12-2014 02:17 PM
[] - dante - 06-12-2014, 02:33 PM
[] - Pavala - 06-12-2014, 02:46 PM
[] - Kevin - 06-12-2014, 02:59 PM
[] - Jeremy - 06-12-2014, 03:09 PM
[] - James - 06-12-2014, 03:13 PM
[] - Tony R - 06-12-2014, 03:29 PM
[] - WILLI - 06-12-2014, 03:35 PM