This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do I find a newborn kitten?
06-15-2014, 04:07 PM

The youngest a kitten SHOULD be taken away from it's mother is a MINIMUM of 10 weeks old... but as late as 12 weeks for placement.

Some say 8 weeks, but there are certain "feline social behaviors" that are learned during those 2 weeks between 8 and 10 weeks. And if the kitten MISSES them within the family setting, the kitten will have a higher chance of behavior problems. Trust me, I have see the difference between 8 and 10 week old kittens, and 10 week olds are much better adjusted.

As for "ordering" a kitten, a good option is to contact your local shelter/humane society. Most shelters these days have people who FOSTER baby kittens until they are old enough for adoption. You would have a good chance to give your name to them as a future "adopter" of one of the babies.

Another source would be VET offices. Many of the vet's clients have kittens that need homes. Last, but not least, is Facebook. There are many groups (local groups!) that are geared towards pet adoptions. Post an "ISO" posting that you are "In Search Of" a kitten to adopt when they are 10 weeks old.

As for moving, sure... go ahead. As long as the cat has things that will have it's odors on them, they will bring stability and comfort when in a new setting.

Me… kittyslave23… I know my place.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - Hand_of_Chaos - 06-15-2014, 03:22 PM
[] - Sil - 06-15-2014, 03:28 PM
[] - Caroline - 06-15-2014, 03:35 PM
[] - Maci - 06-15-2014, 03:36 PM
[] - Allie - 06-15-2014, 03:51 PM
[] - kittyslave23 - 06-15-2014 04:07 PM