This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Restored router to factory default now internet is slower?
06-24-2014, 04:21 AM
Restored router to factory default now internet is slower?
I restored my router to factory default because when i got online with my games sometimes i would have trouble maintaining a connection online. I would get the message my router settings are too strict or something like that.

So after restoring i tried to get the DNS type changed but now its asking me for all these crazy numbers that i dont have.( i used the CMD with ipconfig and those numbers arent working) Currently i have it on Dynamic setting but i have noticed a dramatic slowdown in internet speeds.

Here is what i have hooked up to my wifi
Two laptops (typically one is usually in hibernate)
2 android phones
and sometimes a tower pc but we use the ethernet cable for that.

I did an internet speed check using wifi and cable. WIth wi fi i get .85-.95mbs in DL speeds while using ethernet i get 28.5mbs.

Is my router going dead or is it just some settings i need to tweak. Please if your gonna recommend how to tweak keep it in as much kiddy terms as possible. Not super savvy when it comes to the networking department of things.

Additional Info-
Router is a Belkin N300 Wireless N
Model#- F9k1002v5
ISP- Comcast(Xfinity) so i believe its cable internet but i could be wrong.

Thanks for reading and for your help
Before the restoration the internet speeds were working pretty well.
I used automatic update i never entered any settings in manually. the only thing i changed last time on my router was i think the DNS from Dynamic to PPPoe or Static i forgot which but that fixed my speed problem before. Now when i try to change the type its asking for ips dns and gateway. THe ip config numbers given which are the 192 basics and 255 for the gateways. When i put those numbers in it say something about cant use that ip or something like that.
@Sir Henry- I am connected to the internet with the pc i used to type this question wirelessly already. Your describing how to get wifi up and its up. I need to know what i can do about the speed. speeds are so bad now that i have to reload pages sometimes just to get them up ( i think they are timing out)

The security on the router is also already set up it is WPA/WPA2 security.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Restored router to factory default now internet is slower? - 024 - 06-24-2014 04:21 AM
[] - tj - 06-24-2014, 04:32 AM
[] - Hunter X Hunter - 06-24-2014, 04:33 AM
[] - 672 - 06-24-2014, 04:38 AM
[] - rowlfe - 06-24-2014, 04:40 AM