This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I have fibromyalgia and osteoathritis if anyone has the same how are you being treated for it?
11-09-2012, 10:11 PM

Hi Shannon, I have fibro and arthritis (not osteo). What works for one person may not work for the next. It seems to be a trial and error deal to find the best treatment.
Right now, there are three main fibro drugs in the US: Lyrica, Cymbalta, and Savella. Some Dr.s are prescribing antidepressants (to boost serotonin levels to help sleep and pain), muscle relaxers (cause we have knots in our muscle fibers), and pain medications. There have been a few studies out concerning LDN (low dose naltrexone)- some will prescribe this med, and some won't. You'll just have to sit down and talk with your doctor.
It can be frustrating at times, but talk with your doctor and try different meds to see what works best for you. I'm also on Lyrica right now and not seeing a great improvement.... So far, the best med for me is Zanaflex, which is a muscle relaxer. I like it 'cause I can take a fourth or half of the tablet, feel less pain without all of the drowsiness. For the arthritis, I'm on Mobic, which seems to help.
There are also some supplements which my rheumatologist told me to get. COQ10 and malic acid with magnesium. They can be found at your local health food store. I can tell when I've missed the malic acid for a few days. I was also on B12 shots for fatigue, but then converted to sublingual (under the tongue) tablets. The wonderful thing about B12 is that you can take high levels of it, and what your body doesn't use, it flushes out. I would ask your doctor before actually taking any of these just to make sure. He knows your medical history. You can also have your vitamin D levels checked. Vit. D deficiency is a totally different condition, but many patients are low, and state that they can tell a difference after taking vitamin D3.
I don't know how long you've had this, but there are always things like heating pads, hot baths, hot tubs, massages (gentle), tens units, reflexology, and water exercise that may help you feel better. Just like the medicine, you have to try each one to see how you respond.
FYI, you might like to talk to others who have fibro. There are a few yahoo groups for fibro patients. It's wonderful to be able to talk, vent, ask questions, and just become friends with others who understand how you feel. Many of the participants have other conditions along with the fibro. I've had this for over 15 years, and just joined a couple of groups this past year, and I've learned so much from these people.
Hope I've shared something that might help you. Don't be afraid to sit down with your doctor and come up with a plan that will make your body feel better! Good luck to you!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - Shari - 11-09-2012 10:11 PM
[] - Mariya - 11-09-2012, 10:11 PM
[] - Justmeinthisworld - 11-09-2012, 10:11 PM
[] - akvdr - 11-09-2012, 10:11 PM
[] - Josh Coulis - 11-09-2012, 10:11 PM
[] - muffy53 - 11-09-2012, 10:11 PM
[] - crookedKiller422 - 11-09-2012, 10:11 PM
[] - John Zczech - 11-09-2012, 10:11 PM