This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Help with my character please?
02-28-2013, 01:56 PM
Help with my character please?
I have an awesome male lead character, but I'm having a really hard time coming up with his love interest. I write guys so much better than women. The women/teen girls I write always sound Mary Sue to me or too bland. Blah. Or standard characters that you see in too many books already.

My main male character deserves someone who is tough but not hard, smart but not unbearable, and as interesting as he is. I have listed a couple of prototypes for his girl Friday - please let me know which one you like best and why! Thanks! I also included a brief description of him with a link to a pic of what I am imagining him to look like. Your helpful, nice, specific answers are always appreciated Smile

Male lead pic link: http://picyou.com/h0tuHf
Description: 18ish and just graduated H.S. Quiet, watchful, not trusting of others. He has a few good friends but not very social. Yet he isn't antisocial - he's just a nonconformist who is just himself. Very protective of his mom and little sister after they got beat up and put in the hospital by his mom's ex. He isn't a sentimental, heart-to-heart kind of guy. He shows his love for his family by helping with the bills and taking care of things. Actions speak louder than words to him. His flaws - too proud, a bit paranoid, and anal about details - has to have things orderly especially in his spaces (his room, car, etc.) Has to have some control of his environment and life but yet he isn't controlling with people.

Jane Doe's Physical description: Medium length light brown hair, tan skin, chin a little pointy, intense brown eyes, slim build 5'6" (she looks healthy not model skinny). Pretty but in an understated way. Not a huge guy magnet.

Jane Doe #1: She grew up with 3 older brothers who like to try to push her around and/or treat her like she is invisible. As a result she is assertive and in your face at times. She had to be that way in order to be heard by her family. They tend to treat her like a baby, but after she got her butt beat at school by a gang of girls they made sure to teach her self defense. Her strengths: not easily intimidated, a loyal friend, and tenacious. Her flaws: bull-headed, not very empathetic, and often acts like she has something to prove.

Jane Doe #2: Still has older brothers, but this character is shy and sometimes people feel like they have to protect her. She feels like just because she has trouble talking to people and blushes a lot doesn't mean she is stupid or weak. Enrolled herself in self defense classes because she feels like if she can defend herself then she will act more confident and people will stop treating her like she's glass. Strengths: sweet, empathetic, and loyal. Flaws: shyness prohibits her from being herself, doubts herself a lot because of the way people treat her, and often jumps to conclusions/judgmental.

Jane Doe #3: Lives with her step dad since her mom skipped out on them when she was 10. Step dad is decent but really busy with work so they lead pretty separate lives. She is very independent and has been working different jobs since she was 12 (babysitting, dog walking, fast food, etc.). She doesn't like feeling dependent on her step dad so has always been focused on making her own way in the world. She has a few close friends that she considers to be her surrogate family. Strengths: independent, lots of common sense, and people smart. Flaws: too suspicious, a little superficial, and arrogant.
Please keep in mind these are brief descriptions - I know it is hard to judge much about a character without reading more about them, but please try to keep an open mind. I have spent a lot of time writing several different scenes with this guy and several prototypes of her - but I just can't seem to get it right if you know what I mean. Thanks for your feedback!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Help with my character please? - Susan fan - 02-28-2013 01:56 PM
[] - Ash - 02-28-2013, 02:00 PM
[] - no_chakras - 02-28-2013, 02:07 PM
[] - Betty - 02-28-2013, 02:16 PM
[] - Daryn - 02-28-2013, 02:19 PM
[] - SweetandSassy - 02-28-2013, 02:26 PM
[] - Amy - 02-28-2013, 02:27 PM
[] - Christopher - 02-28-2013, 02:32 PM