This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Understanding transgendered people?
04-27-2013, 12:56 AM

Other people have already given good answers.

You asked: "Should I do the same now? Or make a big deal about it"

I would proceed with caution and take your cues from him. He may or may not want to use a male name or pronouns yet.

Next, although he may not be ready for a public change in name and pronouns, make no mistake, he is a guy. A transsexual man is a man who was born into a female body, but he was never a woman, his brain has always been male. So he isn't "becoming" male, he's just now letting others know. You might want to try reading this:

http://forum.beginninglifeforums.com/ind...e46a465be/

Social transition, when a transsexual person changes their public persona, is a delicate process. He will inevitably meet opposition from lots of ignorant people. It would be nice if you stood by him through this process because many times our friends abandon us at this point. And, YES, I would skip conversations about periods, bras and shoes. Okay, now that I explained to you he is a guy, what kind of relationship is it if he dates a girl? Hopefully you answered "straight". Just remember gender identity, what makes you you genderwise, is between the ears.

Last, transsexualism (brain-body mismatch) is a scientifically proven congenital birth condition. When a transsexual person transitions they are correcting that mismatch they were born with by changing their body AND assuming a gender appropriate role in society. Lots of people still cling to obsolete ideas from the past about it being a mental condition; that is false. The media and religious organizations are most responsible for propagating and perpetuating these falsehoods. Take a look at these trans men and note their occupations:

http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/conway/T...nsMen.html

Despite what the media may tell you, transsexual people come from all walks of life. We can do anything anyone else can do. For example I'm a medical professional and I know hundreds of others in various professions.

One more thing. You didn't mention if he had any support at home. If he doesn't have support at home things will be rough for him. Whatever the case let him know you are still his friend no matter what; it will mean a lot to him.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - Christine - 04-27-2013, 12:08 AM
[] - widecannon384 - 04-27-2013, 12:20 AM
[] - Mariana Straits - 04-27-2013, 12:22 AM
[] - Kathryn White - 04-27-2013, 12:38 AM
[] - Gályndrá - 04-27-2013, 12:49 AM
[] - Unluckymonth158 - 04-27-2013 12:56 AM