This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cornell Essay Critique?
10-13-2012, 05:46 AM
Cornell Essay Critique?
Here's my essay, I need some criticism and want to know if I answered the question the best way I could.

Question:Describe your intellectual interests, their evolution, and what makes them exciting to you. Tell us how you will utilize the academic programs in the College of Arts and Sciences to further explore your interests, intended major, or field of study.

The eternal flame that grasps the light of knowledge knows no boundaries. It unlocks tales of sacrifice, ignites the passions of evil and closes the temptations of ignorance. Most importantly, knowledge - in its entire scope- is available to every region of the human universe. At Cornell University, the Cornellian is the torch urging to be lit by the limitless knowledge in the College of Arts and Sciences.
The art of cinema and its influence on me as a child was similar to the obsessions every kid has over Spider-Man or Toy Story. Everything I saw, I imitated – teaching me small, but lasting lessons on friendship and character. As I grew older, the way I interpreted cinema transformed, identical to the altering world around me. The cultural and political evolution that occurred in the beginning of the twenty first century around the world was revolutionary, but increased my own confusion and doubts. As I searched for an answer to the world’s speculations, I looked back at my childhood fascination – cinema. The question that is always asked, “Can film inspire social change?” certainly was in the corner of my mind. Historical and political cinema like Hotel Rwanda and Blood Diamond absolutely informed society about the difficulties in Africa, but could they inspire social change?
When my high school was developing a 5K Run to raise money to build a well in Uganda, I immediately signed up as the head in Media Advertising. I had to create videos that would inspire students to participate in the run; though the task seemed easy, however, I had to dive deeper into the purpose of cinema. I spent weeks producing a three minute short that incorporated elements of powerful emotion and story I had seen in international cinema like My Name Is Khan and Schindler’s List to motivate students. It seemed like I was initiating a social transformation in my own community – to inspire change. Inevitably though, in the process, I realized how cinema on both sides of the spectrum can manipulate society, like The Birth of a Nation and Triumph of the Will did in their respective years.
It is this passion of social change that motivates me to pursue a double major of Government and Film at the College of Arts and Sciences at Cornell University. Studying these two fields would help me base my ground in national public issues and the means to understand the drift of culture and its movement from one period of time to the next. Taking courses such as “Racial and Ethnic in Politics” and “Political Theory and Cinema”, while completing study abroad programs that would absorb me in an investigation of another culture, would build a foundation of new knowledge – and endless exploration into the political and cultural structure that holds each nation together. By using the programs in the College of Arts and Sciences, I can fathom the idea of progress and, more importantly, how progress can be controlled for the improvement of civilization.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Cornell Essay Critique? - Excessivehair918 - 10-13-2012 05:46 AM
[] - lalapine - 10-13-2012, 05:54 AM