This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
who here has twitter/facebook etc type things................................?
04-03-2014, 06:10 AM

I use both but for very different reasons.

If you're considering using either, I would suggest figuring out what benefits you feel you can get out of getting socially "plugged in" and also what it will cost you (usually your time but also, to a degree, a bit of your privacy). There are many reasons for both benefits and costs. Some productive and others simply time-consuming and fruitless.

I use Facebook because I see it as a powerful social network. Most of my friends and relatives--located all over the world--are on it, especially among the younger generations, and it means I can easily send messages if I need to drop a line or coordinate an event. Though I myself rarely post, I'm happy to see my friends and loved ones post things they feel are important to them (such as teaching their children to ride a bike, going on exotic vacations, reunions with mutual friends, milestones in their lives, etc). There are mentions by others of the posting of updates few would care for (for example, what they had for breakfast that morning). Friends and family who do that too often, I simply "turn off" updates from. I'm on FB probably less than 2 or 3 minutes a day and have no issues with it. Check your security settings though.

I also use Twitter although in several years of having an account, I've only actually made two posts, the last one being in September 2011 as I was training for my first half ironman distance triathlon. I use Twitter mostly to get a pulse on trending information and breaking news (following CNN Breaking News, for example) but also to follow professional athletes/entertainers who have down to earth personalities. It's very touching to read updates from a professional athlete with a busy professional athlete's life who can still make it a priority to live the family life with spouse and kids and doing simple, ordinary things.

How does it compare to Y!A? Completely different animal. Again, for Y!A you can figure out what benefits you feel you get from using it and what it costs you (typically your precious time) and by being able to express yourself through your questions and answers, you can get the most out of Y!A. I stepped away for years but apparently haven't missed much.

Good luck.

EDIT
Frou, are you comparing Facebook and Twitter and possibly adding only one (if any)? Again, I would say different animals. Really depends on what you plan to use it for or what you hope to get out of it. With Twitter, it's all about the speed of information flow. As of right now, Twitter is a central topic of Olympic proportions as the millions of viewers are letting their thoughts and criticism about the Olympic coverage in the United States and abroad--instantly. In May 2011, a Wall Street Journal article highlighted behind-the-scenes news about how a Twitter user who was in the area had unknowingly "live-Tweeted" the attack on Osama bin Laden as the overnight raid was happening. http://blogs.wsj.com/indiarealtime/2011/...en-attack/

If things like that interest you, you might consider at least owning a Twitter account. It's not just about tweeting what you had for breakfast (if you see it that way, your choice)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - Shih Tzu - 04-03-2014, 05:56 AM
[] - glenn123 - 04-03-2014, 05:59 AM
[] - Sinâ„¢ - 04-03-2014 06:10 AM
[] - Skye M - 04-03-2014, 06:23 AM
[] - Pelican - 04-03-2014, 06:26 AM
[] - 785 - 04-03-2014, 06:42 AM
[] - THE VOY - 04-03-2014, 06:43 AM
[] - 273 - 04-03-2014, 06:45 AM
[] - finn mchuil - 04-03-2014, 06:54 AM