This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Are you now or ever been a Feminist?
02-19-2014, 12:46 PM
Are you now or ever been a Feminist?
For those who do not understand what a Feminist is:

Gloria Marie Steinem (born March 25, 1934) is an American feminist, journalist, and social and political activist who became nationally recognized as a leader of, and media spokeswoman for, the women's liberation movement in the late 1960s and 1970s. A prominent writer and key counterculture era political figure, Steinem has founded many organizations and projects and has been the recipient of many awards and honors. She was a columnist for New York magazine and co-founded Ms. magazine. In 1969, she published an article, " After Black Power, Women's Liberation",[2] which, along with her early support of abortion rights, catapulted her to national fame as a feminist leader.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloria_Steinem

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2014, 12:51 PM

yes - i am

my mum helped set up the first womens refuge in our state in the 1970's - a local woman donated a house and other women volunteered to staff it

i can remember going to big womens liberation marches as a small child

Ads

02-19-2014, 12:56 PM

I will give the same answer I gave at work the other day when some staff and a resident all put me on the spot and asked me if I am gay because of something I said to defend gay rights.

Which is that "I choose not to label myself"

I have no one ended centralized all the time stance on politics depends entirely on the direct question at hand.

For one question here I may firmly agree with feminism and another I may firmly agree with MRA!

I am a diplomat how bout that if you wanna label me.
02-19-2014, 12:59 PM

No I'm not a feminist but I do believe in equal rights for all humans regardless of gender, race, religion, sexuality, class etc...
02-19-2014, 01:03 PM

This sounds like what they asked people about believing in communism in the McCarthy Era in the USA. It's apt given that here in Gender Studies often feminists are treated very much like communists were at that time - shamed for things they believe in.

I'm a feminist and take a lot of heat for it here but I'm proud to say I believe in human rights for women.
02-19-2014, 01:11 PM

Females should have the same rights as men and be equals with no discrimination. The genders are equal but different. Would this make me a feminist I don't know some of the things they campaign for I disagree with.
02-19-2014, 01:14 PM

No, I don't believe that one gender is better than the other.
02-19-2014, 01:21 PM

I am a feminist.
02-19-2014, 01:31 PM

No. Feminism and Christianity do not share the same beliefs or values.
02-19-2014, 01:38 PM

Technically I am a feminist, yes. However I oppose a great deal of what so called feminists do and say today.

Technically I am feminist - from an intellectual point of view. However, on the ground I am an anti-feminist. I am a mens rights activist.