This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Should I go into social work or mental health nursing?
02-19-2014, 12:48 PM
Should I go into social work or mental health nursing?
I have chosen these two because I'd love to work with, care for and support vulnerable people in society.
Now i'm torn on which path to take...
Any advice?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2014, 12:50 PM

Social workers have a very bad press. Feared and disliked by people. They take children away as we have seen recently in the media. You will have to follow the rules set by your department. You are not going to change the world.
At least with Mental Health you will be helping people.
UK

Ads

02-19-2014, 12:55 PM

Social work is very defeating as you can't really help these people as
too many don't want help they just want a free ride.
It's very discouraging especially when you realize you only help make matters worse.
02-19-2014, 12:56 PM

Both are tough choices because both deal with not just vulnerable people but also people with different mental problems. Mental health nursing deals with people that have serious problems like bipolar, schizophrenia, depression, anxiety, ect... But so does social work just on a different level. In social work your trying to help children that come from a rough background that don't always want your help and there is a lot less pay off as there is with mental health nursing. Both have lots of red tape to maneuver but in social work you could end up underfunded, underpaid, over worked, and unable to help those you want to. In the mental health nursing you can be underpaid and overworked but you have more liberty to help people and get to know your patients better and help them more meaning their is a higher chance that they will recover.