This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Facebook being really sketchy, some insight?
02-19-2014, 12:50 PM
Facebook being really sketchy, some insight?
I posted this in the facebook section but figured nobody there would know anything on this topic as they are all asking about farms and stuff..

So on my phone, I direct my browser to facebook.com, and it loads up. Just recently, everytime I load it up, i get the facebook login page in a mixture of the regular english language, but now also in Swahili.

To make things sketchier, there is a simple text-only advertisement on the bottom of the page:
"Vodacom Cheka Internetfor just Tsh 500 per day! Dial *149*01#"

I have never noticed any type of advertisement on the mobile facebook page. I only started to notice this when facebook would display "Get FacebookYa Rununu and browse faster." which I would normally get in english. Also, the URL is still facebook.com when I am on it, so there couldn't be a virus directing me to a fake facebook look-a-like...

What is going on? By the way, this is happening on my Nokia E73.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2014, 12:52 PM

This is the first time I can recall answering ANY question on Yahoo, and I've had my account for something like 10 years.

I don't really know what's going on either, but I can tell you that I am experiencing this on my iPad 2 via apps. The Vodacom ad you're experiencing is from Tanzania, by the way.. which makes it super, super sketchy.

Just thought you might want to know that someone else is experiencing it, too. I'll let you know what I find out.

Update May 8th, 2012:
So it appears that our issue is likely IP-based. That is, it only happens for me at the house. When I go to Starbucks, or another shop, oddly, it reverts to English, and there are no advertisements. My level of security is extremely high, though... Alright, I don't have the Facebook app on my iPad, so let's start figuring out if there's a common app that scans for your home IP.

Ads

02-19-2014, 12:58 PM

This is happening to me also on a "new" Kindle Fire. I clicked on the preloaded facebook app and the sign in page had the Vodacom Cheka ad at the bottom and also has some words a little further up that are in Swahili. And the button to sign in after entering email or phone and password (blue button bar) says Ingia.. It' very odd and have been trying to find out why this is all there. I also had a random dudes profile on facebook that came up from Australia when I went to the facebook site.
Anyone know what all this means? please let us know.