This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Corn snake care information? Best answer gets points!?
02-19-2014, 07:13 PM
Corn snake care information? Best answer gets points!?
I am interested in getting a corn snake and I am wondering what is involved with their general care. Heat,light, general Health that kind of stuff. Thanks!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2014, 07:28 PM

Well i had a Californian king snake and they are very similar, just a heat pad or a UVA light will do fine. a worming shot once a month will be fine (I'm not if its once a month or one every two months but look it up on google) you just have to inject the rat, mouse, rabbit ect that you are feeding it with worming medicine and yeah you need a tank and woodchips fake grass or whatever you are going to have your floor as and your all set up i guess

aslo feed it once a week

Ads

02-19-2014, 07:37 PM

They are very easy to maintain. They start out expensive but after that you are all good. I will give you a list of what you will need.
Tank: 20 gallon long at least and you can go as big of a tank as you want. 40 gallon breeder tanks are great for an adult corn. With plenty of room to roam around in.
Bedding: Many people use aspen bedding. Do not use cedar or pine this will kill the snake.
Décor to make it look natural.
Heating: The best heat method is to use an under the tank heater. You can use heat lamps as well.
A thermometer to maintain proper temps of 80-88 degrees F
Depending on size of tank you can use a 50-75 watt bulb to get enough heat for a 20-40 gallon tank.
Large water bowl to allow the snake to soak in. Water bowl should be on the cool side.
Two hides one on the warm side and the other on the cool side.
If your screen does not come with screen locks get them. Otherwise your snake will find a way out.
Food: They mainly eat rodents. You should feed them weekly and allow 48hrs for them to digest. So do not handle them within this time.
Cleaning of cage: Once a month if you spot clean. Spot cleaning is when you see the snake poo you clean it up right away.
Handling should be down at least 3-4 times a week.
Once you get your snake home. Allow a week for it to be by themselves. This will let them get use to the new home. Reducing stress for them. Then once the week comes up feed your snake and like I said allow 2 days for them to digest.
Shedding occurs once a month. You will notice that your snake becomes dull in color and eyes become cloudy. When you see this you can mist the tank every other day to let the enclosure be moist to help aide them shedding in one piece.

If you have any other questions check out my facebook page at Corn Snake Facts and Questions to learn a lot more information. You can post pics of your snake and any questions you may have. Hope to see you there!