This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to Care for a Corn Snake?
02-20-2014, 03:38 AM
How to Care for a Corn Snake?
So I'm thinking of getting a corn snake but I never had a snake before. I heard corn snake are good beginner pet snakes so that's why I chose the corn snake. So I know nothing about snakes and I want to know everything I can on how to care for one. This what I need to/want to know:

-best cages/terrariums (are screen cages okay?is glass okay or with heat break it? what size for one hatchling and what size for one adult?)
-best NATURAL bedding ex:aspen or wood chippings (I want to make a realistic habitat)
-All about shedding, how will I know when it's going into shed, is it okay to feed the snake during this time, when will I know shedding has ended, when it will be okay to handle it again (yeah I mostly want to know about shedding in corn snakes because I couldn't find a place where they explain things clearly or answer these questions)
-heating (will I need a heat lamp or heat pad or both and heat control do I need it?)
-temperature of terrarium both warm side and cool side temperatures
-the length of growth per year ( shows how much I need to feed it)
-feeding (when can handle my snake again?)
- are two corn snakes in one cage okay?

I'm sorry I know this a lot but this information be very useful and I will be very thankfully for it Smile

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-20-2014, 03:47 AM

Yes that is a lot hahaha. Welcome to the hobby, however you are going to need to look into a little more so that you can keep it healthy. You'll need a. Small enclosure whilst it's a juvenile, then as it gets larger you can upgrade to a larger tank. Ensure there are no gaps or holes in the enclosure for it to escape and that it includes water, somewhere to hide and climb, a heating source (such as a heat light or mat) and a thermostat (a device that regulates the temperatures, often the most expensive part if you want a good one). I like to feed snakes pinkie mice, and they'll have one of those a week. As the reptile gets larger you move onto to bigger mice and rats (look into that a little more as well. If you experience problems with feeding search youtube or try and find someone you know who has experience for help). Also if you want to handle it I suggest you handle it as much as you can whilst it's young, it will bite but it doesn't hurt a bit (trust me). Corn snakes are a good starting snake, spotted pythons and children's pythons are also other good options if you willing to see what you like best. Taking care of reptiles is a little time com summing and expensive at first, however if you enjoy it you'll won't even notice. Have fun, look up some care sheets and talk to more people to learn the details. : )

Ads

02-20-2014, 03:53 AM

Ok hopefully I answer all your questions lol. You can use a screen lid. Make sure you buy clips for it so the snake can not get out. The tank size you can get anywhere from a 20 gallon long to as big as you want. A 40 gallon tank would be the best they will grow into it and will not out grow that tank. Bedding I would go with Native Earth Sani Aspen Chips. This will clump up when the snake poos making clean up easy. You only have to clean their tank out once a month if you spot clean. Spot clean is when you see it you clean it right away. Feed them once a week as well. Then you allow two days for the snake to digest properly. The signs of your snake getting ready to shed, your snake will become dull in color and the eyes will get cloudy. After 5-6 days the eyes will clear back up. Then within the next few days your snake will have shed. You can handle them while they are in shed but not as they are shedding the skin. Best heating device for the snake would be an under the tank heater. You should also get a thermostat called hydro farm. You can get it off of amazon.com. This device hooks up to your under the tank heater and controls the temps you set it at. Very easy to use. Your temps should be between 80-88 degrees F. Snakes are solitary they can not be housed with others. They do that at pet stores to sell them more. You should check out my facebook page at Corn Snake Facts and Questions. You will learn a lot of information on this page. Everyone on this page has nothing but great things to say about this. You can add pics of your snake on here as well as any questions you might have. I have years of experience with corn, milk, and king snakes. Hope to see you on this page!