This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
To writers of all genres, does...?
02-20-2014, 12:39 PM
To writers of all genres, does...?
having a MySpace, Twitter or Facebook account directly help your business as far as directing traffic (or better, put you in contact with tangible resources). Worldwide Freelance just sent me an email saying that this was important but I already have two blogs and other accounts to keep up with.

If so, which would you recommend?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-20-2014, 12:44 PM

I find those accounts practically useless; it's the wrong sort of audience.

Edit: Bailey Michelle has given you a fantastic answer, rendering mine practically useless. XD I'd listen to her advice.

Ads

02-20-2014, 01:01 PM

I would steer clear of MySpace. It has a nasty reputation, and actually might hurt you - I can't see it really doing much for you, career-wise.

Twitter is probably the most useful of all of them, since you can give new updates whenever you want. I use it to subscribe to some blogs and webpages I read, and sometimes get some really useful information that isn't posted elsewhere. As one of the newest forms of social media, I think it could be potentially useful in the professional world, simply because there is really no "profile" information to fill out. It's about what you have to say, not really who you are.

I have a Facebook, but really for personal use rather than professional promotion. If you're looking to attract a younger crowd, this might be a good path for you. There are people of all ages on it now, but it's still vastly populated by the under-30 age group. However, you can create a "professional" page once you have an account, and people can follow your updates - kind of like Twitter, except with a lot more information available for posting and reading. I follow a few of my favorite authors and publishing houses on Facebook, and do find out some interesting things that way.

It's all really in what you think. Twitter would definitely take the least amount of time, since you say you're already busy.
02-20-2014, 01:17 PM

I have a website for my business (as a writer and editor). I don't regard MySpace, Twitter or Facebook as professional, given the nature of many of the pages. I have never had a client ask me if I had a page on any of those sites. I know they are fun and a great way to network socially, keep up with friends, etc., but I am not aware that they are considered essential for a freelance business.

If you have two blogs and other accounts to keep track of, I would forgo adding anything else. Potential clients seeking real pros are not going to go fishing for leads on MySpace, trust me. Focus on marketing your services directly.

Worldwide Freelance relies on loyal subscribers. By creating the appearance of authority, they can potentially increase their base. Remember, though, that WFW is merely one opinion. You certainly can take it or leave it.

Good luck.