This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Atheists: What do you say about someone who dies?
02-20-2014, 07:33 PM
Atheists: What do you say about someone who dies?
I know someone who lost a person very close to him.
This just strikes up curiosity in my mind.
I am unsure if there actually is an afterlife, I do not really consider myself an Atheist, because I just do not know, and I dont think anyone does for sure.

My question is: How would you comfort someone if you are unsure about an afterlife?
I do not think there is a heaven, however, it is important to be comforting to those living, what is a good thing to say?
On the facebook page, people were saying she is in a better place now- I dont know for sure, but I would agree and say the same for the comfort of her family and friends.

What have you done in this situation?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-20-2014, 07:36 PM

I don't say anything that has any religious overtones to it....cause I don't believe in any of it. I simply state that I am sorry for their loss. I don't say bullsh*t like "oh, he's in a better place now".... or "he's with god now"... what a bunch of meaningless words.........

Ads

02-20-2014, 07:38 PM

You can start by giving them (((hugs))) and offering condolences.
02-20-2014, 07:52 PM

Any suffering that they experienced is over now, they can finally rest. In their last few moments, I am sure that they went calmly and relaxed into their endings.
02-20-2014, 07:54 PM

I would say something along the lines of "I'm sorry for your loss. I'm here if you need someone to talk to."

Personally I think "she's in a better place" is insensitive, as it tries to make light of a tragic situation.
02-20-2014, 07:55 PM

I am atheist that works in hospice care so I especially understand what you're going through. I understand that many people find the idea of an afterlife comforting, and at this point in time there's no need to get philisophical, just be there for him and be a good friend.
02-20-2014, 08:00 PM

I usually prefer to talk about how good they were, things they accomplished, how much they will be missed, and how I am a better person for having known them.
02-20-2014, 08:11 PM

'Sorry for your loss' is probably sufficient. Focusing on the needs of the living rather than inventing a bunch of nonsense about the dead is always the better course of action. Look back fondly instead of forward in sorrow.
02-20-2014, 08:24 PM

he is dead
02-20-2014, 08:39 PM

"He was quite fat. He'll make good worm food."