This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Does this online relationship sound fishy to you?
02-21-2014, 10:29 AM
Does this online relationship sound fishy to you?
Started dating a guy online 2 months ago. We met on a dating app & fell HARD for each other.
We exchanged phone numbers and pictures for 2 months and everything seemed fine with us. He asked me to be his girlfriend & said he can't wait to bring me to Alabama to visit him next month. Then everything suddenly got weird.

He sent me a hot picture this past weekend and my BFF was with me so I showed her the pic of him. She said that something looked weird on the right hand corner of the pic like some text was there but got cropped out and part of the text was still showing.. like a URL or something....

I got kinda suspicious so I asked to skype with him because thats something we never did before. he said that he didnt have a webcam. but he has an iphone, so how would he not have a cam to chat? He also said that he didnt have a facebook or twitter or any social network like that but when my friend searched by phone number on facebook, it showed a blank profile (no image or wall posts) for a guy with a completely different name age and location.

Does this sound weird to you?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-21-2014, 10:39 AM

Very weird. Quit talking to this guy.

Ads

02-21-2014, 10:50 AM

Yeah he sounds weird, I wouldn't bother
02-21-2014, 10:59 AM

Definitely Wierd..doesn&#x27;t sound legit..id be very careful of him..
02-21-2014, 11:09 AM

The person behind the picture is real and has that personaity you are attracted to but that guy in the pictures is not him. You are dealing with a Catfish. If he won't go on webcam, it pretty much says it all.
02-21-2014, 11:17 AM

Yes, it is fishy.
02-21-2014, 11:31 AM

Uh, duh! Block this creeps number and move on!
02-21-2014, 11:33 AM

Omg yeah. Please do not go to Alabama, because he sounds quite suspicious. Since you've invested time in each other, instead of just stopping all contact with him, tell him that you have a friend who's suspicious. Also, maybe instead of skyping him, get him to video call u on WeChat? He could just download it(free), and it's just like Skype and can be used on iphones so he doesn't really have an excuse not to.
I hope this helps, and good luck!
02-21-2014, 11:40 AM

I would certainly be suspicious. Do the pictures all appear to be of the same guy? Does he look like a model, or are the pictures of polished, professional men? Does he look "too good to be true"? Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of hot guys out there, but everybody has at least one flaw. If he looks "perfect" in his pictures, they are probably not his photos and have been touched up.

I would also question his reluctance to Skype with you. Maybe he doesn't have a webcam, but if he was really into you and you were forced to date long distance for awhile, he would look into finding a way to talk face to face with you as opposed to just e-mailing/chatting/texting.

Also having his number linked to a blank Facebook page with a different name and address sounds weird. Maybe it's a coincidence, maybe not, Honestly, I'm not convinced this guy is who he says he is.

If he asks you for money then you know for sure it's a scam. A friend of mine met a guy on Christian Mingle (of all sites!) who turned out to be a scam. He looked like a model in the photos he sent her. He supposedly had a highly successful business and was making millions. He left for a business trip to Africa and she didn't hear from him for weeks. When he did finally contact her, he asked for money to get home because the money for the jobs he had completed had not "come in yet". She deleted him, her account, and never spoke to him again.

I met a guy online years ago. He sent me a picture of him - a hot, Italian guy in an Armani suit who could have easily been a model. In fact, he claimed to be a model who had lost his beautiful wife and child in a tragic car accident. He even called me on the phone - sexy voice with an Italian accent! He said he made good money and was looking for a lady to spoil and love again. Woo hoo, right!? Wrong. After chatting for a week, he asked me for money because the checks he was expecting for some completed modeling jobs had not come in yet! He even promised to pay me back! Luckily, I deleted and blocked him.

I would be careful if I were you. I certainly would not agree to travel to Alabama or meet him in person until you know for sure he is who he says he is.