This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is it illegal to post a minors address, school, and phone number on the internet?
02-22-2014, 02:09 PM
Is it illegal to post a minors address, school, and phone number on the internet?
Is it illegal to post a minors phone number, school, and address?
This is for the US.
Also, if it is, can someone please tell me where it says it's illegal. (like the codes and such.)

Here's the story behind the question:

There's this guy, and he is semi-famous on youtube. He's currently 15 years old. Well, some of his friends decided they didn't like him, hacked his twitter account (which he has 5,000 followers on), and posted his school and phone number, and also threatened to post his address. They said that they would post his address and other information if he decided to re-open his youtube acct, which they hacked. I'm hoping that it's illegal to do this, so that's where I came to the conclusion that I wanted to do a little research on my own. Thank you for all the answers that are soon to be.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-22-2014, 02:16 PM

No, it's not illegal. Lots and lots of people have done this, and if it were, many social networking sites would be closed down.

Ads

02-22-2014, 02:25 PM

no it is not
02-22-2014, 02:35 PM

The hacking of his account is a felony computer crime and you should alert the authorities. If the authorities don't respond get a lawyer and go to the press with documentation that the police are not acting.

The posting of his information is also illegal, but I'm not sure if it's one of those things that's going to apply to local statutes in the offender's area, such as invasion of privacy, cyberstalking, harassment, blackmail (felony), etc. You should get a lawyer who can throw subpoena's around and get the kids who are doing it thrown in a federal prison, or, at the very least get a restraining order. If you have a restraining order against the people doing it, then every continued action they make is in violation of that order which will prompt law enforcement to act on your behalf if they won't already.