This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Business "Partners"?!?
10-15-2012, 06:16 PM
Business "Partners"?!?
My friend and I have gone into a small business together. I came up with the idea and invited her in 50/50. Trouble is the only thing that has been 50/50 is the money!
I do all the leg work so to speak. I spend all night searching for the cheapest items of what we want but at the same time look for quality. I've signed up for wholesalers and such. I've created selling pages on Facebook and ebay. I've started paper work on the cost, selling and possible profit. I've been doing and keep coming up with everything I can to get ourselves up and running and noticed. Even roped my partner in to make displays for us. I house all the stock and I do the to-ing and fro-ing to the post office when I've missed the delivery.
I have a full time job and I'm a mum of two under 6.
I drive and have purchased stall equipment so we can join markets and bazaars. Something I needed anyway so I haven't asked for a contribution.
My friend has no children. She doesn't work. I've asked her to come over but she says her partner won't drop her over and she has no money for transport. She doesn't drive and we live about 5 miles apart. I tell her I don't have enough petrol to pick her up and drop her off. Each time would be 20 miles nearly. She says she can't go online and do the research and buying because her partner won't let her on her laptop as he uses it. She has said she is too busy during the day with her animals (cat and dog) or she's out shopping with her mum or at her mum's house.
It's really starting to get to me because I seem to be doing everything. My partner and father in law have even said it's all me.
I have joked about taking extra commission but she laughed it off.
Having half her input for the initial outlay has helped loads but that's all. She just agrees with what ever I suggest to get. She has no work input. Its all been me even down to finding the cheapest packaging. I don't want to hurt or upset my friend but it's starting to get to me now. Any ideas what should I do?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-15-2012, 06:24 PM

give her her money back / tell her its just not working out

Ads

Youhave proved you can do it basically alone so I agree with previous answer. Give your friend her money back, thank her for helping you get everything off the ground, maybe add a bit to her original financial input as a thank you and then do what you are already doing but without the stress/worry/burden of dealing with your negative feelings toward her.
It is her loss in the end and you will do far better with no dead wood which is basically what she has become. Being successful in business will not happen if you can't be totally focused on the business and your aims. She is in effect holding you back so to be totally professional in your chosen business you need to be strong and drop her.
Good Luck to you and well done on how far you come along so far. It can only get better.

It is time for you to end your partnership right now before your friend leeches any more off you. Just sit her down and tell her politely that it is not working out, explain to her that she is not doing her share of the work and that you have no choice but to break up the partnership and go it alone from now on.