This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I am concerned about my 22 year old daughter & social media. Should I speak with her?
02-23-2014, 03:18 PM
I am concerned about my 22 year old daughter & social media. Should I speak with her?
She moved away from home about a year ago to NYC, she is naturally popular has always been & makes friends in a snap, which is as good as it is bad. She's overly friendly. I have noticed recently by looking at her instagram & facebook that she puts up pictures of everything, her food, drinks, when she's at a nightclub, when she's at work. Everything. She even adds her location to the pictures. She recently ended an emotionally abusive relationship not that long ago, he spread terrible lies about her after the break-up & she went into a state of depression. He has a new girlfriend now & she thinks that she is better than this new girl because she has cooler pictures on her instagram & more followers. Maybe this is the way 22 year olds think in 2013. She seems to be finding herself & her voice, which I love & I am proud of her. But I feel as though she is using social media to shove it to her ex, she puts up pictures with guys, laughing, she's out every weekend. Her facebook is private, but her instagram is public & I am worried. She is in the entertainment business & is doing well, but I am worried about her & how she feels that she needs to prove something to the world but using social media. like look at me everyday I am doing something, everyday I am out, you should all be jealous. She has tons of followers on instagram & a lot of friends on facebook. Maybe I am over-reacting? Should I speak with my daughter or let this go? Am I thinking to much into this. She is 22, living on her own in NYC, she is successful, she never calls home for money or anything, she does not need to prove anything to anyone. The lies her EX spread about her & how he cheated on her was awful, but she is 22, this is not the end of the world, & uploading pictures of you at dinner is not going to make things better. Also her EX tried to re-connect with her many of times & each time she shut him down, not replying, she even changed her number.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-23-2014, 03:24 PM

Sounds like she&#x27;s just proud of herself and the fact she&#x27;s doing well Smile

Ads

02-23-2014, 03:27 PM

as a women who is between these generations i always thought that was the point of facebook.. to show off to those who follow you.
hense why i don't use them much anymore. but i think your thinking just a little bit to much about this.

Here is what you can do to frighten her away from it.
get a stranger to her but a friend to you and have them pull up info on her .. have him tell you all about your daughter for free no paying for background checks see what he can dig up.

with people posting everything you know when she is away from home. break in steal her stuff.
then print all the info your stranger has and leave it for her on her door steps that says .. somoenes watching you and it's not who you think...

then when she calls to tell you because she is now freaking out becuase that documents have photos of her at the bar and whatever else she places on instangram facebook whaterver. she might stop..

i don't really know.
02-23-2014, 03:31 PM

Unfortunately, this is just how a lot of immature people use social media at her age. She was in an abusive relationship so obviously her self-esteem is still recovering from the blow and she's using social media to prove to herself and everyone else how great her life is. Other than possibly the security issue with the location, etc. of her photos, I don't think this is a problem you need to address. She is 22 and still figuring her life out. She seems like she's doing well for herself so far, and you seem like a great parent for being concerned, but I don't think she will respond positively to your social media intervention. Just build up her confidence as much as you can and continue being supportive of her. She'll grow up and settle down with all the Instagram insecurities Smile
02-23-2014, 03:39 PM

Of course if you're worried about her and how she shares her life you should speak to her. It doesn't mean she will listen or change anything, but why would you be silent if you have concerns?
02-23-2014, 03:41 PM

She is still very naïve and immature about the ways of the world, NYC is a terrible training ground.
02-23-2014, 03:46 PM

Nothing wrong with voicing your concerns and what you view as the potential dangers, and then letting her do as she desires...

This belongs in Family, instead of M&D...
02-23-2014, 03:56 PM

NYC is a dangerous place for s 22 year old, success or not. Not as dangerous as Chicago, LA, Miami or Philly, but dangerous nonetheless. She needs to stay off social media and lay low for awhile. The "ex" sounds like he could be trouble - guys have gotten violent over a lot less.

If she's successful, she should consider moving across the river into Hoboken, NJ, by the Gold Coast developments (Maxwell Place and Hudson Tea). Lots of successful young people there, vibrant nightlife and easy commute into NYC.

It may be time for a visit, Dad.