This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Teens: What do you think of employers looking at your facebook before choosing to hire you?
02-24-2014, 08:04 PM
Teens: What do you think of employers looking at your facebook before choosing to hire you?
Or any other social media site... I think it's stupid. People are dumb enough to not hire someone (even though it is illegal) because they don't agree with their "lifestyle choices" being their sexuality or the way they talk or their religious beliefs. I just think it's a stupid reason to get to know someone.....
I'm not saying I have something to hide, I'm saying that for ME personally, I act VERY differently in my private life than I do in my professional life. It could give them the wrong impression of me and therefore, I think it's stupid.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-24-2014, 08:09 PM

Why shouldn't they? There are many workers applying for each job. Use all the tools available to make the best choice. Employers are welcome to look at my Facebook.

Ads

02-24-2014, 08:17 PM

It's legitimate. People won't say everything in an interview, like if they party a lot or get drunk a lot. Anyways, if they were to not hire you because they found out you were gay, or a certain religion, etc, that's illegal, and you can file a complaint with their bosses.
02-24-2014, 08:19 PM

It's not your religious beliefs, sexuality or lifestyle choices they are looking at. It's behavior. If you have an alcoholic drink in your hand in every pic on your page, they think you're likely to show up to work hung over, late, or call in sick. If you make comments on how drunk you got or brag about stupid risky behaviors the employer cant' trust you to make sound decisions.
02-24-2014, 08:22 PM

To be honest, I think it's ridiculous. What you do on you nights/days off has nothing to do with you competency. It has nothing to do with you're intelligence. If you're partying a bit, you obviously have a social life and social skills- that's a good thing. And sexuality? I mean, being sexually active or anything like that could be a good thing too. There's a ton of judgement and just negative connotations that come out of having your employer look at you that way. The concern is whether or not you would do well at your job and if your resume provides enough sources/experience, then they shouldn't need outside info...
02-24-2014, 08:28 PM

I think it's silly. Professional and personal life should remain separate in all ways.
02-24-2014, 08:33 PM

Ha, that's why I have it on private. What I do in my free time is nobody else's business but my own and who *I* choose to share it with.
02-24-2014, 08:37 PM

I don't think it's a bad idea honestly. Like sometimes theres a constant flow between co-workers that people might now fit in with, then there would of drama among everyone, and they also could want to know what you're like, if you slack off or are consistent and such.
02-24-2014, 08:47 PM

I mean my friend loves to party and drink and she flaunts it in pics on Facebook and everything, but she separates her fun life from her work life and she does a VERY good job at it and works at Michael Kors and has a pretty good position. I mean if she can work that's all that matters, i mean thats what i think
02-24-2014, 08:54 PM

its a good idea, plus i have nothing to hide on mine. Smile i post only good things, never swear, etc. but if u have a private fb they cant see it anyway so u know... as long as ur profile pic, cover photo, and all public information makes u look good then yeah ;D

i know a guy who worked at a rly important place and leaked video onto his fb to brag and got fired...
he deserved it for taking the video thoughhhhhhhhh...