This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
anybody know what this is?
02-24-2014, 08:33 PM
anybody know what this is?
I have tried and tried google with no luck. It is a NISHIKI 14speed with shimano 105 drive, aero formed tubes and 700c tires id love sombody to know and give a link to a social media site we can talk about it on.... i found it in a grain truck of my uncles... thanks

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-24-2014, 08:38 PM

That frame looks like its damaged. The seat tube is smashed.

Ads

02-24-2014, 08:43 PM

Check Bikepedia.

Without knowing more details, like the year or the name, or even part of the name, it is going to be a long search to find the right bike.
02-24-2014, 08:50 PM

I STAND CORRECTED. I forgot about the Nishiki Aero, from 1982. It would have had a SunTour drivetrain on it or MAYBE a Shimano 600AX, but based on the shifters it was SunTour.

If complete and in good shape, the bike would be worth about $50 to $100. There are many people who claim to sell used bikes but actually just "flip" them- clean them up, maybe add new tires or handlebar tape, and sell for multiples of their actual value. Forget about service and returns.

Of course, I am excluding sonnyhl because he is honorable in all his dealings and refuses to sell stuff beyond their true value, refurbishes the bikes completely, includes a service warranty, and offers a return window. He would never sell a bike at an inflated price and never sell one that hasn't been properly looked after.

He is obviously experienced in frame design and construction as he knows the frame is made of "hard metal" which was, at the time the bike was built, the true test of a quality frame. This was much more advanced than other metals of the time. I always thought that Tange made that tubeset of chrome molybdenum rather than the impossibly rare "hard" stuff. OK. I am being sarcastic... in reality, there are only a small handful of pre-hardened tubesets (Reynolds 753 is one) and a few air-hardening tubesets (like Reynolds 853) and I can't think of a single steel tube that would crack if it was crushed after being properly fashioned into a bike frame.

Aside from the sarcasm, sonnyhl is correct about the model of the bike, but that's about all.
02-24-2014, 08:54 PM

Sorry. But with that seatpost tube - it's nothing but scrap metal. See how much the scrap metal yard will give you for it. Whatever it is...take the $$$ and run.
02-24-2014, 08:59 PM

The "aero" seat tube appears to be a homegrown effort, the flattened section looks bumpy. If this is the case, frame integrity has been compromised. I agree with Bikeworks, strip the components and find a frame that hasn't bee damaged. I really don't like the look of that one
02-24-2014, 09:07 PM

Well, I certainly hope you didn't listen to any of these answers. I've come across these types of frames before, mainly with Nishiki and VeloSport. What you have is a Nishiki Aero frame. Decent bike for back in the day some 25 years ago. Check out http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php

Put up a post there in the 'vintage/classic' section and you'll get more than a few replies I'm sure. Most people there actually know what they're talking about.

As for someone squeezing the frame to make it look like that. It's hard metal, if any one would be able to do that to a bike you would certainly see cracks in the metal from the stress but that's not the case as the bike was manufactured like that.
02-24-2014, 09:09 PM

don;t ride that
throw it back
if it was rideable it would not be worth $100
would take $400 to get it that way
plus it;s damaged