This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What is the teen culture in the Philippines?
02-24-2014, 11:26 PM
What is the teen culture in the Philippines?
I was born in the Philippines, but I moved to America when I was 5. Since my parents constantly grilled Visaya to me, I know it. On the other hand I have a horrible accent, and I understand Tagalog, but cannot speak it.
BTW. I don't look anything like an "average Filipino". Get this, my mom's grandpa is full Spaniard from Spain, and on my dad's side his grandpa was from China. So I look Chinese (with bigger eyes), white, and dark brown/gold hair. I don't have a flat nose.
Next summer, I'm taking a 2 month vacation in the Philippines. I'll be 16 when I go there, so I want to know what I'll expect. I want to look cool in front of my cousins, so what are the trends like in the Philippines now? Will I get "discrimanated" for my looks? I'll be staying 1 month in Manila and then 1 month in Cagayan de Oro. WOOOOOOO !
Okay, all you negative Nancys out there. I went back to the Philippines in 2005. I'm pretty sure that it hasn't changed as much as everyone says. I understand it is Asia's most corrupt country, but I love the Philippines. Anyway, I'll be staying with relatives the whole time so I don't think I'll be raped/killed.

In an answer, I'm looking at what teens do or what they find cool. Like in my town, here, it's cool if you are really good at a sport or a b-boy or are a very good singers. On the other hand, playing video games or sitting at home all day is uncool. And what's a good Filipino entertainment site to follow?
Maybe I phrased my question differently. I just know that when I went back in 2005 many of my cousins said,"She's so white..., who's side is she from?." They were potentially hurtful comments. For those who think I'm arrogant in anyway, I feel like I'm not. I'm just concerned. I live in a very conservative part of the world, and all the kids here, when they see an asian, immediatly think "Foreign, Unfriendly, Nerd..." I just wanna fit in. I pointed out my features because here, it's cool to be "tan", and in the Philippines I wondered if that was "in". Another example is that, I dye my hair blond sometimes, cause it's "cool" here. I know; My personality is the "fit in" type, but that's just how I am.
Maybe I phrased my question differently. I just know that when I went back in 2005 many of my cousins said,"She's so white..., who's side is she from?." They were potentially hurtful comments. For those who think I'm arrogant in anyway, I feel like I'm not. I'm just concerned. I live in a very conservative part of the world, and all the kids here, when they see an asian, immediatly think "Foreign, Unfriendly, Nerd..." I just wanna fit in. I pointed out my features because here, it's cool to be "tan", and in the Philippines I wondered if that was "in". Another example is that, I dye my hair blond sometimes, cause it's "cool" here. I know; My personality is the "fit in" type, but that's just how I am.
Trust me, by "looks" I just me how I look. I know for a fact I'm not pretty; I've accepted that. The fact is, I don't look like your average Filipino. Even in the Filipino community here, the adults make jokes about it that are sometimes mean.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-24-2014, 11:36 PM

philippine has own culture? i don't think so

Ads

02-24-2014, 11:40 PM

Don't worry about what people think, sister.
Pack light for your trip here, and go to a mall with your cousins to buy some hip clothes.
02-24-2014, 11:44 PM

If you are not wearing a torn Smart shirt, with all your teeth rotted out, you will be charged 10 times the price, mugged, and raped like any millionaire foreigner. Regardless of your looks or language skills.
02-24-2014, 11:51 PM

Dress how you normally dress. The Philippines' youth is very westernized so unless you look like a total douche, people won't discriminate you.
02-24-2014, 11:57 PM

Walk down the road holding a g/f's hand. Wander round the shops looking at all the things on sale most people cannot afford and get pregnant to a no hoper Barrio Boy who drives a pedi-cab for around 75 P a day income.
Yep, not a hell of a lot going for a teen girl there. Of course , you could get a job--hahahahaha, working 12 hour shifts 6 days a week soldering Nokia phones together for a grand monthly pay check of what you would spend at home on one night at the movies.But forget going to the movies in the PI as a working teen girl coz on payday, your drunken father or gambler mother will take it all off you anyway, leaving you enough for tricycle fares to get back to work for another soul destroying month. Thats if the boss doesnt have a cousin who needs your job and mostly, they do.As a teen girl in the Phils you need space to (grow) , however teen girls mostly end up as (GRO).
02-25-2014, 12:00 AM

I agree to one answer that teenagers in the philippines are already modernized or westernized . they follow latest fashion . they know how to use updated gadgets could undrstand your language and friendly . so need to worry about the culture for your same age .
02-25-2014, 12:02 AM

They don't practice safe sex... you should.
02-25-2014, 12:08 AM

Q: I want to look cool in front of my cousins, so what are the trends like in the Philippines now?
A: It is the "facebook" trend. Everyone has a facebook account. A lot of kids these days have twitter accounts. They update their statuses several times a day. You probably know how it is.

Q: Will I get "discrimanated" for my looks?
A: You're fifteen, so you probably don't realize that this question is potentially insulting. Why do you think you will get discriminated for your looks? Were you discriminated for your looks when you went to the Philippines in 2005? No, you won't be discriminated for your looks. Filipinos, contrary to what others may think, aren't shallow people.
02-25-2014, 12:18 AM

Be yourself. What I'm saying is that you shouldn't worry about being discriminated against. I find it odd, however, that you put emphasis on your ancestry. Had your family not moved to America and stayed in the Visayas, would that have changed your looks? I suggest you drop that arrogance and dismiss any feeling of looking different and therefore, important. When you get there, just blend with your peers and do what they do.