This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Would not having a social network page, like facebook, affect my chances of getting a job?
02-24-2014, 11:27 PM
Would not having a social network page, like facebook, affect my chances of getting a job?
I don't have a facebook because of prior experience. I had myspace before and it interfered with my education deeply. I was unable to focus on education because I was concerned of socializing. Now, I don't have any social network pages. I must admit that I am not as social as before, but not by much. I'm just not that outgoing, but it's not a huge issue. I still hang out sometimes and communicate with people. I'm still active in some volunteering organizations which I bond with people from different age groups. Recently, I'm trying to apply for a local youth program. I'm afraid that they'll assume I'm not great at socializing because I don't have a facebook. Also, will they decide not to accept me because of this?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-24-2014, 11:31 PM

I think this actually helps your chances of getting a job. Yesterday on CNN, I actually heard that 45% of employers look for your Facebook page to consider hiring you. If they can't find you, then they can't find anything BAD about you. The reason they look people up on Facebook is to see if they have a lot of inappropriate photos, etc. If you don't even have a Facebook profile, then you won't get any bad photos of you posted on the Internet, and that's a good thing.

In my own experience, I do have a Facebook profile, and I really don't have any inappropriate things posted on it, but I'd still like to make it private once I am entering the job market. I am going to be a teacher, so I certainly don't want employers AND students looking me up and learning information about my personal life. I think this also helps you if you do get the job with the youth program. I really wouldn't want students who I work with to know things about me that would in any way take away from the professional relationship I want to create.

Good luck!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply