This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
would this be a win-win for libs and cons regarding min. wage?
02-25-2014, 01:19 AM
would this be a win-win for libs and cons regarding min. wage?
Curb illegal immigration, and enforce existing immigration laws to include penalizing employers (often McDonald's and minimum wage employers). That will create a shortage of cheap, unskilled labor, and force employers to pay those $15 per hour liberals demand. And conservatives are happy that we don't have illegal immigration. Our government saves money on those workers getting off welfare, and saves on subsidizing social services and k-12 education for illegals.

From what I understand, North Dakota has a shortage of labor, and McDonald's has to pay around $14 or $15 per hour to get people to work there. You even get a signing bonus to get a job there. Now...I don't know if Big Macs cost more money in ND as a result, but don't know by how much.

People keep saying that Australian minimum wage is quite high. Could it be that their labor market doesn't have a surplus of 12 million illegal immigrants?

A lot of people point out that the minimum wage prior to the 60's was higher (adjusted for inflation) than it is today. Illegal immigration was on its infancy back then, and not what it is today.

How about it?
Alex, you left out the "illegal" part of the equation. Don't twist my words. I said ILLEGAL before I said Immigrant.

Illegal immigration gives McDonalds and Walmart the excuse to offer minimum wage at $8 per hour or less. illegals create an artificial cheap labor market.

Again, Australia doesn't have that illegal immigration problem. That's why they can pay high wages.
@Blind, so you're saying it's all for show? So the left doesn't want these problems to be solved?
"What would your suggestion be if we didn't have immigrants? Just kill unemployed people? "

Why would we kill unemployed? First of all, there will be very few unemployed because of the labor shortage. And if we do need immigrants, we can bring the ones we need...legally.
@Alex, then why would you keep me out of your house. You should have no say in whether I can go to your house and eat out of your fridge.

The Indians didn't own America either. They didn't have any titles or deeds to the land.

Fine, let's bring in 80 million more immigrants and see if you like it. That also brings in more poverty, more crime. Let them rape your female relatives.

Everything needs to be balanced. Illegal immigration creates a surplus of cheap labor. Don't complain about $8 min. wage then.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-25-2014, 01:31 AM

wow, enforcing illegal immingration laws that will force ILLEGALS to self-deport and now jobs for americans will be available...so nice...without that min. wage increase...I don't support higher prices for higher wages. FACT

Ads

02-25-2014, 01:44 AM

We shouldn't be artificially trying to create a shortage of workers.

What would your suggestion be if we didn't have immigrants? Just kill unemployed people?

Immigrants are a net benefit to the economy, we have no right or reason to keep them out. You sound just like the racist union workers of the early 20th century who blamed low wages on Jewish, Irish, Romanian, and Italian immigrants.

EDIT

The only reason they're "illegal" is because there are stupid laws that say that can't be here. Those laws are xenophobic and wrong. You don't own this country. If an immigrant wants to come over and work in the country you should have no say in the matter.
02-25-2014, 01:50 AM

Ted Kennedy used the "curb illegal immigration" lie many years ago to get "the last amnesty we'll ever have". It's just as much a lie now as it was then. Leftists can't be trusted to keep their word. (If you like your plan, you can keep your plan. Period. Remember that more recent lie?)
02-25-2014, 02:00 AM

Odd that you could see that as a win-win.
> Curb illegal immigration = DEFEAT for the left.
> Enforce existing immigration laws = DEFEAT for the left.
> Penalizing employers would require you ALLOW employers to screen applicants = DEFEAT for the left.
> Workers getting off welfare = DEFEAT for the left.
> Saves on subsidizing = DEFEAT for the left.
> Not using FORCE OF LAW to CONTROL wages = DEFEAT for the left.