This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Privacy or security suggestions?
02-25-2014, 01:54 AM
Privacy or security suggestions?
One of my emails has been hacked.
Anyone has any privacy suggestions so I can watch out for future hackers? I cannot retrieve my email password. I cheated my age for my other Yahoo! email, and I can't remember the age I put, so I can't recover the password because they need the birthdate. I know that my account cannot be retrieved anymore, and I regret pretending to be older than I am.
I am now concerned about my privacy so this won't happen anymore.
My Facebook settings are set to "Private" - even my friends of friends can only see my birthday and my friends/relationship status. Most of my friends have been removed. One of my friends who knew my password doesn't know it now because I have changed it.
I have more than one YouTube account and I have changed my passwords for two of them. Out of a few accounts, two of them are shared with others and the related email has been changed to one that would be totally safe.
On Twitter, I stopped revealing my email.

Any more suggestions on how to ensure that my account won't be hacked into again?
Thanks!
Thank you, Altamash. Smile
Thank you, Bryan Davies. Smile

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-25-2014, 01:55 AM

Put correct information and set up correct security questions.

Make a note of security questions.

Also use a strong password which will be alphanumeric and which contains special characters like *, @, #, $ etc

Do not disclosed your password to anyone.

Avoid logging into your account from other's pc to avoid tracking and storing of passwords.

Always sign out of your account after use.

Ads

02-25-2014, 02:04 AM

The only thing I can suggest is make sure your passwords are really hard to hack. Like, make sure that they have a capital letter, a lower case letter, a symbol (like . or *) and numbers in them. Make sure they are 12 characters long or longer. Write them down in a notebook so you can remember them. Anything you can look up in a dictionary (even a string of words) is is unsecure.

The only thing this protects against is brute force attacks where someone tries to guess your password by trying every combination. The more obfuscated you can make it the better. But note that this doesn't protect against some hacks where crackers gain access to the systems that you are using, in which case they can do whatever they want.

Hope this helps... and good luck to you in the future.