This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What do you think about "REAL" stories? (Just asking)?
02-28-2014, 08:19 PM
What do you think about "REAL" stories? (Just asking)?
I read books and watch movies, of course. But I have a problem, not really a problem but a problem with some stories. Now, it's OK if a movie is acted out 'so real' because nobody wants to be fooled. But for me, it's not OK when a story/book is being too real like adding Facebook, Twitter and other real stuff to it. It's makes it awkward and I go like "urgh! I want something made-up by the author"...especially names of places like 'Stoneybrook' (that one was made up, right? The author said it was) and so on.
I'm just saying.... I don't know about you guys that's why I asked I would like to hear y'all opinions. Do you feel authors should use fictitious locations more often and not involve too many real life stuff in their books? Would you find such stories interesting?
You can drop your opinions. This might help aspiring authors/writers know what their readers wnt and how they feel!
Thankss : )

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-28-2014, 08:23 PM

It's the first time I've ever heard of anybody having a problem with reality in a book.
Though I'll say, there is a difference between using real place names and saying your character lives in a real street and goes to a real restaurant and dropping pop culture references. I have no issue whatsoever with the first. The second one is something you have to be really cautious with.
In the House of Night series - which I don't recommend to anybody - for example, there are inordinate amounts of pop culture references that will not mean anything to anybody in a few years. Zoey reads Charlaine Harris' books and listens to songs by the cast of Glee. These are useless references that add nothing to the story and will make the books feel really outdated in just a few years. However, the use of the Rubik's cube or the show Bonanza in the movie The Pursuit of Happyness is there to give the flavour of the time. We know this is the '80s because of these references.
So whenever you make pop culture references, it should be because you're trying to set the time period and say something about it. For example if you're going to mention Twitter, Facebook, and reference to your character texting on his iphone, it should be because you're establishing that in the 2010s, people's way of communicating is now going through mainly through technology and perhaps not so much face-to-face anymore. If however you're just doing it because "hey, see my MC's cool, she's on Twitter", then yeah, you're doing it wrong.

Ads

02-28-2014, 08:38 PM

I respectfully disagree. I want my books and movies to draw me into a world which feels real in every way they can manage, including band names, brand names, real stores and websites, and everything else.

In fact, it pulls me out of the experience when I read or see a made-up something which is obviously standing in for the real thing, like Friendbook or Talker for Facebook and Twitter.

It seems odd to me that you actually prefer the author or screenwriter create a world just like this one yet not identical.