This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I have a Facebook addiction?
03-02-2014, 09:24 AM
I have a Facebook addiction?
I can literally go on Facebook for hours like I can't go a day without going on Facebook and it's not like i'm chatting all the time I just keep scrolling and scrolling through my news feed the whole time. I don't play those dumb games either, IDK even know what I like about it so much and it's not like I don't have anything better to do, I usually have tons of home work and it is AFFECTING my homework time a lot, most of my homework is on internet so I can't help it so I always drift to Facebook and literally waste a lot of my homework time, I hate it, i have no self control.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2014, 09:39 AM

Clear your mind, and concentrate on doing your homework if your going to go on facebook then make a deal with your self, concentrate on your homework then facebook but only go on facebook for say half and hour a day

Ads

03-02-2014, 09:45 AM

I feel your pain. I am addicted to Yahoo! Answers. If the internet goes out, I then spend hours trying to get the internet back, so having the internet cut off is not even a solution. I would just get on my phone or find another way back on. It's not like I even have any good answers. I just troll the questions until I find one I have something to say on.

For any addiction, there is a behavioral aspect which a psychologist can manipulate. Obviously drugs are a true addiction while something like a facebook addiction will be considered a habit. But, your body produces the drugs which cause you to fall into habits, so it actually is more like a drug addiction than you may realize.

AA and many 12 step programs that have been modeled on AA have been successful with treating various addictions. Often an addiction is "treated" by getting a person into a stronger yet more controllable addiction. It's like using methadone to treat opiate addiction.
Well, the human body is complex, and so there are many different types of rewards to which one could become stuck craving. The hormone oxytocin is released in social situations to reward people for being social. In game theory, one could count the social transactions. Even negative social transactions sometimes give a reward, which encourages bully behavior. But that's getting a bit off topic.
The thing is, you are getting a reward of some type by your mind when you interact with your computer. It's like a rat that has a probe into his reward center of his brain pressing a lever to give himself a pleasurable shock. It's like masturbation. Obviously too much of a pleasurable thing can result in the interference to ones productive life.

The solution is to find more variety. People are able to quit alcohol when they find joy in sobriety. People are social, and social interaction is more addictive than alcohol. You just have to find what works for you.

In the mean time, you can get a program like Net Nanny or something to block facebook so that you won't cave into temptation while you do your school work. Get someone else to install it for you so you won't have the password.
03-02-2014, 09:59 AM

Ok, I had the same problem and that's what I did, first go to the pages you liked and unlike them all(google how to get to the "liked pages" it's confusing), now probably your gonna have like 500-1000 pages but it's alright go through them and unlike them. Now keep the pages you really like, e.g your favorite sport team page... after that your gonna have like only 100 pages and then move on to the group that you joined and just get rid of them. Also, if you are a person who like to post lots of stuff, then just don't post as often... good luck