This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why Bother Social Networking and "Branding" Yourself?
10-15-2012, 07:44 PM
Why Bother Social Networking and "Branding" Yourself?
These days, it seems that one has to market themselves as a "brand" in order to make a name for themselves. For some people it's easy...especially if you're a celebrity or politician, but for an average person such as myself, not so much. You do what you can to put yourself out there, to promote your talents, promote your products, or even just to connect to people with common interests.

That's hard to do if you're considered "unique".

I've tried blogging, Facebook, Twitter, even YouTube, to market myself as an average guy with certain talents and interests. Apparently, the posts have gotten very few responses have been often ignored. Nevertheless, I keep trying, but the results are still the same.

Just so I don't want all this to make it look like it's all about me, I do try to be supportive of other people and their interests. I have a friend who has a podcast that I visit every week. Another person recently had a children's book published and I purchased it to help ensure her success. But trying to get people to purchase a book I've put out is like pulling teeth. Tried to obtain funding for said book through Kickstarter, but got rejected. Which is okay..if they had actually explained why.

In the end, I feel that all the effort to brand yourself is not worth the time if after a long while nothing comes out of it. What then is the point?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-15-2012, 07:52 PM

It's not as easy to market yourself, as it is to market a book.

Think about that.

Ads

I wouldn't try to brand yourself. Instead try to brand your services or book. People wouldn't care about you, the only thing they would care is how your product or service can make their life better. Then blogging, social media will work for you. Have you tried Search Engine Marketing to promote your book?

1 Make a name for oneself, 2, ignored 3, all this is not worth the time 4, pointless.
Tried blogging, Facebook, Twitter and YouTube. What I see here is a unique person trying to market himself as and average guy. What is success, to sell a book, to not waste time or to connect with people with common interest. To me I would try to focus, just think about what is it I really want!
I am on YouTUBE and ignored, I have little control over how many watch. (hquillin channel)
I am not on Facebook, Twitter or blogging, I just don't have time enough for them.. I prefer to be here just for you, almost certain you will read this. I am considered "unique" and I find that my uniqueness becomes less so as people get to know me. I have never tried to sell a book of my own although at one time I sold Encyclopedias, I think I would seek an agent or publish myself depending on what I wanted to accomplish with my writing. Brian good luck in this - HarOLD