This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to best leverage Facebook Connect or Google Friend Connect?
10-15-2012, 07:45 PM
How to best leverage Facebook Connect or Google Friend Connect?
Right now we have a make-shift 'MySpace' on our site so that we can capture user information, such as emails, create profiles, add friends, etc (it was made like four years ago so very outdated).

One of the biggest problems is that people don't like creating profiles and with Facebook Connect and Google Friend Connect, this is supposed to help solve that. However, I am confused about the proper implementation.

I do want to simplify registering for profiles/accounts on my site but I still need to capture name and email information, because we need the emails for newsletter marketing (i.e. sending newsletters about our events, etc).

With the Facebook and Google options, will I still be able to capture that information somehow? If not, how would I be able to push email messages or newsletter content to my "members" from Facebook and Google if I do not have their email addresses (or even for simpler cases, if I needed to contact them)?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-15-2012, 07:53 PM

It may be a good idea to read up on Facebook Connect and try to install the sample site that they provide, its somethink about walking or something...

You will need to read up on it and make sure that your website will be compatible, you may find that PHP is outdated or something and it requires the latest version.

I know a little about it but not a great deal so my advise is to read and give it a go: http://developers.facebook.com/connect.php

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply