This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Laptop screen fades to black while watching movies/netflix?
03-08-2014, 04:30 AM
Laptop screen fades to black while watching movies/netflix?
This has happened recently on both my and my dad's computer. While I watch Netflix (and honestly I've only found it to happen while I'm on Netflix) and my laptop is hooked up to my T.V. the screen will fade to black but the computer is still running. All sound and picture will stop (though the show will continue playing) and all I have to do is touch the touchpad to get it to work again.
This is frustrating as hell considering I end up missing part of the episode and I have to get up to fix it. Is there anyway to stop this?

I have an acer aspire if that helps any.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-08-2014, 04:32 AM

Thats what all computers do. If you aren't actively on the computer the screen fades to black because it thinks that the computer is not being used. There isn't anything you can really do about it.

Ads

03-08-2014, 04:39 AM

Hi!

It sounds like your computer may just have some power options that you need to change. Depending on what OS you have, it might be slightly different to do this.

For Windows Vista or Windows 7:
1. Find the Start Button.
2. In the search bar, type in "Power Options".
3. Choose Power Options.
4. Next, find "Change Plan Settings."
5. Now, because you're on a laptop, you'll have four options. Two are under Battery, and two options are under Plugged In.
6. Change each of them to whatever suits you best.

For Windows 8:
1. Go to the Start screen with all the tiles.
2. Just type "Power Options." At the start screen, if you just start typing, it'll start to search for you.
3. Choose Power Options.
4. Next, find "Change Plan Settings."
5. Now, because you're on a laptop, you'll have four options. Two are under Battery, and two options are under Plugged In.
6. Change each of them to whatever suits you best.

Since you're trying to watch Netflix, I'd suggest changing the "Turn off Display" option to 3 hours so that you don't miss anything while watching movies or TV Episodes. Make sure to turn the "Put Computer to Sleep" option higher than the Turn Off Display option. There is also a Never option which can be used but should be used with caution as it can shorten the overall life of your laptop.

Hope that helps!

Agent Bret K.
Badge 24428
Advanced Repair Agent
Geek Squad Social Media Team
1/6/2014