This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Computer Shutting Down without warning?
03-08-2014, 10:43 PM
Computer Shutting Down without warning?
Intel i7 3770K 3.4GHz Quad Core
Nvidia GTX660
16Gb RAM
Unknown 450w PSU

Computer shuts down randomly when playing games and then reboots.
I downloaded EVGA Precision to try and reduce power consumption.
First, question, does That software actually do anything or did I waste my time?
Seconds question, do I need a PSU with more wattage?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-08-2014, 10:53 PM

Unexpected shutdown during heavy use is usually due to heat. It could be the PSU, GPU or CPU that is overheating and then shuts down.
Your PSU is marginal, and if your case has poor cooling (not many fans...), that may allow things inside to heat up too much.

Ads

03-08-2014, 10:55 PM

You need a much better power supply, is what it looks like. The 450watt power supply would be the bare minimum for your system using that graphics card, but considering you are using an i7 3770k CPU, you need more watts. I would recommend you switch it out for a 600 watt bronze rated power supply just to keep your system as it is with enough power. Otherwise I would recommend you up the power supply to 750 watts so that you can run a better graphics card in the future.

If you need any help you can contact me at https://www.facebook.com/pages/NBSN/205302762950470
Please include the link to your yahoo question so I can know what the issue is.