This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why does my newly built computer start up then shut down almost immediately?
03-11-2014, 03:23 AM
Why does my newly built computer start up then shut down almost immediately?
I just built my very first computer and I assembled everything outside of the case, it worked fine. Then I assembled everything inside the case and with poor cable management it worked, all the fans started to spin expect for the front fan so I tried to plug it into some cable, not sure which one it was one connected to the PSU. After I tried to do that I again tried to power on the computer (from the power button on the front) and it turned on for just about half a second, the LEDs came on then it all shut off. I tried to turn it back on from the front of the case but it didn't work, so I unplugged the PSU and turned it off then waited a minute or two and tried again, same thing happened but faster, on the off. It's like a flash of light almost. So I was really worried and I went back into the store I bought it from and the guy said it was probably the CPU Heat Sink fan that wasn't secured right, or any of the power cables to the motherboard. It wasn't either of those because I made sure the power cables were plugged in and I took the heat sink fan out and put it back in securely and it still doesn't work, he said it wasn't the PSU or the motherboard that was broken, I just bought it the day before. Anyone know what else it could be? I just don't want to have to take in the whole computer tomorrow. If you could help that would be great!

Computer Specs:
CPU- Intel i5-3570k LGA1155
GPU- GeForce GTX 650
MoBo- Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
HDD- 3.5" WD Black 1TB
PSU- Corsair CX600M Modular (80 plus bronze)

Anything you guys can help me with? I'm pretty familiar with the computer all where everything plugs in because I've done research the only thing I'm not too good with is the HDD and all the SATA plugs and the 3 cable plug in things but I think I've done those right because it did work.

PS: I didn't get to the bios cause I wanted to fix the fan at the front of the case.
Forgot when I was installing motherboard there were 7 standoff holes and the 7th didn't line up to any on the case so I just ignored it and was careful plugging anything in. Could that have to do with anything?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2014, 03:37 AM

Are you sure RAM is properly inserted.
Also do check ground

Ads

03-11-2014, 03:48 AM

If your motherboard required 7 standoffs to be used for proper case/motherboard spacing, and your case did not properly support that, you might have an issue with grounding. The case should have specified what size motherboard it would support. Just because it supports an ATX motherboard, does not mean that all ATX motherboards will necessarily work in the case. Many cases will specify ATX up to 12" x 10.5" or something like that.

It might be your power supply, and I would suggest you find a multi meter to check it.
Lets just say that is not the issue for arguments sake and take a look at the rest of your build. You need to update the BIOS for your motherboard to ensure it boots up correctly with your components, if you have not already done so. Often a motherboard will come from the factory ready for certain types of components, but a CPU might be released later on, requiring you to update your motherboard BIOS. But since you can't get to that, it is probably another issue you are having.

If you need any help you can contact me at https://www.facebook.com/pages/NBSN/205302762950470
Please include the link to your yahoo question so I can know what the issue is and I will respond as quickly as I can. Typically you will recieve a response within an hour, but it will depend on total workload.
03-11-2014, 03:59 AM

mine did that, turned out i didn't have the graphics card pushed in properly. Stupid i know! haha but hopefully your issue is as easy as mine Big Grin