This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Does AdBlock Plus work well?
03-11-2014, 05:23 AM
Does AdBlock Plus work well?
Does Ad block plus work well, and will it give me really annoying Pop ups of it's own like macphee, Norton, or any other anti virus type of stuff. I'm using Safari, but I really don't want anything On my MAC that will affect (or Effect, IDK the proper one here, that's a bonus question if you want) It's performance. I know MAC's getting a virus is rare (maybe impossible) but I wouldn't want to be the first. OR do you know any other Ad block programs that would work (including blocking Youtube ADS)

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2014, 05:28 AM

Yes it works extremely well.

I recently opened up Chrome (which doesn't have Adblock Plus installed), and I was absolutely amazed at how many terrible ads the internet has nowadays. While using Firefox I hardly see any obnoxious ads at all. And no, Adblock Plus doesn't give any annoying popups of its own.

Ads

03-11-2014, 05:40 AM

"""Does AdBlock Plus work well?"""

Yes. It requires quite a bit of custom filter settings to stop many of the delays of ads in web pages.

"""will it give me really annoying Pop ups of it's own"""

It has no pop-ups... um, I hope by that you aren't expecting AdBlock Plus to have any effect on pop-ups, because it does not. A pop-up is a web page, usually of the file format "popup.html". AdBlock Plus cannot stop those. Blocking pop-ups is the job of the browser by itself. You install AdBlock Plus to make a web page load more quickly, because it blocks the code in the page for cross-scripting of ads( those boxes off to the side of the real content). Generally, AdBlock Plus does not include any block for Twitter / Facebook code, and that greatly slows a web page loading. I add custom filters to AdBlock Plus to block Twitter and Facebook data gathering and it zooms the loading of pages.

"""...will affect (or Effect...) It's performance"""

Affect. Effect, as a verb, is like "bring about", as in "effect a lasting peace". As a noun, it's an appearance, result, or air, such as a pleasing visual effect. AdBlock Plus increases the speed of loading pages that have a lot of ads built-into them.

"""I know MAC's getting a virus is rare (maybe impossible)"

The hardware has nothing much to do with virus infection. The OS is the target, and so far, no virus has been able to damage any Mac OS files. Trojans and worms are another matter.

If you are annoyed by pop-up ads, try Firefox. It has the most robust pop-up blocking mechanism of all browsers. Safari is the feeblest at blocking pop-up pages.

<0-0>