This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What android would you recommend for use by a senior?
03-13-2014, 11:37 PM
What android would you recommend for use by a senior?
I need help wading through the specs on all the different brands. I'm a pensioner, not willing to pay $600 for an Ipad. Right now I use a laptop Win 8 O/S on a Wi Fi net. I'd like something small and light that I can toss in my bag and go, something under $250.
Day to day I use Facebook, Netflix and YouTube, Google Search, Maps, Gmail, Picasa, ITunes and Apple TV. I'd like to be able to dowload any program I want from the internet and if possible text message/phone/camera/skype. At present I do not have a cellphone, yet.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-13-2014, 11:43 PM

Try Sony Xperia Go and Lenovo S920. They can be good options for you!

Ads

03-13-2014, 11:53 PM

You realize that you can't use iTunes and AppleTV on an Android device? For most of the other programs you mentioned, you'll have to check the Google/Android Play Store. Especially Picasa and Netflix might be problematic.

Downloading any program you want - again, both problematic and risky. Not every program will work on every operating system, and especially for Android, there's a very good reason to stick to the Play Store (like you'd stick to the Apple Store for iPad apps).

Combining a tablet and a cellphone in one device is problematic at best. You either have to put up with a small display (when usig the device as a tablet) or an unwieldy phone (when using the device as a phone).

If you insist on iTunes and AppleTV, you'll have to stick to either a Windows or iOS device. Depending on how and what for you use these two programs, there are alternatives for Android available. If you can live with that, there are useable Android tablets around starting below 100$ - but you'll have to decide what you need first:
- size
- speed
- storage
- WiFi and/or 3G data access
- screen quality

If you want the same performance as an iPad, your price won't be that much lower.
03-14-2014, 12:04 AM

I recommend the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3. great price, fast and not to big or small. Here is a link to one