This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to stop my dog from making her nose bleed cause of muzzle?
03-14-2014, 08:13 AM
How to stop my dog from making her nose bleed cause of muzzle?
I got a female, 2 yr old, Belgian Malinois/German shepherd from a guy on Criagslist.
She was supposed to be my service dog, as I have PTSD.
I am only 14.
She was supposed to be well trained (Which she is in obedience), but a few days after getting her we found out she was food aggressive and they never told us.
Then the next day she bit me and my mom.
There is a page to help save her on FB, as she is an amazing dog... She just was abused.. The guy had not been treating her right at all.. and she has scars all over her head..
https://www.facebook.com/SaveAfina
She is in bite quarantine at the moment and has to wear a muzzle when out of her kennel.
She is going crazy trying to get the thing off. She started making sores on the top of her nose that have continually gotten worse. Today she made them bleed. We tried putting a cone on her... But that didn't work at all... She started tearing through the house and knocking things over with the cone. We eventually had to take it off, it was obviously doing more harm than good.
Anyways, so my question is how do I stop her from rubbing her nose on things trying to get the muzzle of? It must hurt to have those sores.
Please let me know ASAP!
Also, we are trying to maybe find a rescue or someone to take Afina, the dog, to work with her and maybe get her in a good home, or for them just to keep her. One in Oregon would be great. Anything helps. More info on the dog is on the FB page "Save Afina".
Thanks!!!
I get her off craigslist to use as my service dog as we can not afford a fully trained one. She was supposedly being used as one for a women that was hard-of-hearing. But, I now find that hard to believe. We even trained with her a few days a week for 2 weeks before we got her to have her get to know us and so her owner could show us what she knew. She was perfectly fine.
That changed when we had had her for only 2 days. We didn't do anything wrong. She just isn't very trusting of people and is very food aggressive.
I DO need a service dog. My doctor recommended it. We had no clue about the aggression. And about the muzzle thing, she is under home quarantine for 10 days. It is against the law to have her out of the kennel with out one on. We put her her back in her kennel a few times a day so she can take a breather and when we feed her.
You have no right to judge me, I am trying to save this dog, I asked for help. And all you guys are doing is accusing me of doing everything wrong. It is not my fault, it the last owners.
Please answer my questions and keep your opinions to your self. I am trying to save her. I am doing nothing wrong.
She is NOT nor will she ever be used as a service dog again. I would not endanger the public like that.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-14-2014, 08:23 AM

I have to ask..Okay so you need a service dog, so why did you buy from a byb on craigslist. Are you training to be come the pack leader, make sit and stay until you okay to eat, use a leash if you need to.

Ads

03-14-2014, 08:25 AM

This question has upset me in a couple of ways. First off you need to report this man to the police before he harms another dog. Then you need to find a qualified person or organization to take this poor dog. The muzzle is cruel! I realize you don't have the skills to train it but the muzzle is just another cruel thing happening to this poor dog. Please get her the help she so desperately needs. Good luck in finding the dog you need too.
03-14-2014, 08:33 AM

You don't't have a service dog and you are clearly not disabled. If you can't afford a real service dog then tough.

You have an aggressive, unstable mutt that can't be a service dog at all. Service dogs are breed for their rock solid temperaments and drive to work. Your dog is untrained, unstable and aggressive. And you are not disabled at all.

Lying about a pet dog being a service dog makes real service dogs look bad and will have you tossed out on your ear. Since the dog is aggressive and has bitten it needs to be destroyed.

I really hate it when kids claim their pet mutts are service dogs. And their dog is aggressive and has bitten multiple times and needs to be destroyed. When it bites someone in public not only will it make real service dogs look bad the kids mother will be sued

"I DO need a service dog."

No you don't. You clearly dont need one and can't even afford a well trained service dog and bought a dog off CL that is aggressive and needs to be put down. NO doctor can recommend a service dog so I call BS on you. You need to be evoated by a physiologist and a therapist and jump though several hoops to be declared that you need a service dog. Sounds like you just want a dog to haul around

"You have no right to judge me, I am trying to save this dog"

People have every right to judge someone who doesn't need a service dog and gets a pet mutt and claims its something its not and said dog is aggressive and will end up attacking someone. Again. And you refuse to have it destroyed
03-14-2014, 08:46 AM

A dog is not suppose to wear a muzzle all the time that is cruel and abusive! She only needs to wear it when out in public (when you walk her) and then leave it off! She isn't a PTSD unless trained for that and a doctor says you are required to have that type of dog. What you have (sounds like) an abused pet which most likely can not be trained to be a PTSD.
03-14-2014, 08:49 AM

You do realize you are talking to a 14 yo, right?! I am her mom! And how dare you say she does not need a service dog! She was almost kidnapped when she was younger, then was in the house when someone broke into our house about a year ago. Thank God she was ok both times, but it has scarred her very badly. She can not go into a busy store without having an anxiety and asthma attack. She will not talk to men at all unless she really knows them well, not even doctors, dentists, etc. We have to ask for females. Her grandfather scared her the other day, not thinking, and she had an anxiety attack so bad I almost took her to the hospital, A service dog will give her more confidence and help her live a more normal life. Also, when she has her anxiety attacks the dog can poke her or lick her to help bring her out of it. So, if you don't know what you are talking about you should really keep your opinions to yourself. I have kidney disease and I see ignorant people like you all the time, that look at me and think I am not disabled, just because I don't look like it. Just because you can't see anything doesn't mean it isn't there. My daughter is not very trusting of people, this situation has made that a lot worse and YOU have made it a lot worse!!! So, thank you for that!!! I can;t believe anyone would treat a child the way you have and NO ONE treats my child that way!!!
The dog we got was from a person who said he was a trainer and that the dog was being used as a service dog for his hard-of-hearing wife. He said he was re-homing her because his wife wasn't forceful enough to make her mind. We have since learned the dog was abused. The aggressive characteristics didn't show up until after we got her home. He lied to us, that is not our fault! We are trying to do everything we can for her. I do have 3 other younger kids to think about, so when she is out she has to have her muzzle on. Otherwise, she would have to be in her kennel all the time and I think that would be a lot worse for her.
03-14-2014, 08:58 AM

This girl didn't ask for your opinion on the situation. She is asking for your advice on how she can keep the dog from further injuring herself. If she didn't care about the welfare of the dog, the dog would've already been destroyed. This young lady has a wonderful heart & is working diligently to save the dog's life. She's following the advice of her doctors & of trainers. Muzzles can be used for cruelty. However, they're also non-violent training aids that protect both the dog & the owner/trainer/vet in situations like these. She's not leaving the dog in the muzzle all day. Simply when the dog is around the other children in the home. That's the safest option for now. Furthermore, you don't have the knowledge of her situation to determine if she is disabled or not, nor do you have the right to determine her need for a service dog. That's not your role here. Your role here is to answer the question at hand, respectfully. If you can't do that, then keep your mouth shut & move on!
03-14-2014, 09:13 AM

How is she "food aggressive"? What was the circumstance for the bites?