This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Did you ever realize how dark children's movies were back in the 90's and further back?
03-14-2014, 10:15 PM
Did you ever realize how dark children's movies were back in the 90's and further back?
I watched something called "the Brave Frog" as a little girl, and never finished that sh*t... everybody kept dying and the main character could never catch a break. Living in poverty, all his siblings dead, abusive father, best friends murdered by bullies, etc...

Who markets that to children???

I could never finish and eventually destroyed the movie... would start watching and then quit... movie pissed me off. My second grade self liked happy stories... Now do you have any?

And there was something I watched which had rabbits fighting to the death and whatever(animated and a kids film). Scared the hell out of me. It ended with a giant murderous rabbit fighting a giant murderous dog and I still don't know who won.. that rabbit was tough.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-14-2014, 10:17 PM

I think that with some films, when you look back, you can truly see how adult oriented they were. Things the characters say.

Ads

03-14-2014, 10:23 PM

Therapists probably funded those movies to produce future customers. Your rabbit movie sounds like "Watership Down" http://www.youtube.com/results?search_qu...neral&sm=3
03-14-2014, 10:36 PM

i think those sorts of movies were great. not everything in life is sunshine and roses. a lot of children experience tough times, whether its poverty, or the death of a loved one like a parent. some children want to see movies that they can relate to, and some children cannot relate to a movie where everything is disney perfect and rainbows and happiness. some of us live in the real world.

also some childrens movies had a political message in them, whether it was "save the earth from pollution": or "love one another, even those who are different" it is important for children to become familiar with our social view points so they can make up their own little minds as to what is important to them.

mindless entertainment with no higher meaning is pointless. i think children are often too coddled these days. it isnt real. not everything is easy.