This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
my mom released private medical information?
03-15-2014, 04:16 AM
my mom released private medical information?
Hello! I'm writing this because I'm a bit pissed off.
I had a yearly checkup with my cardiologist and he found that I have a serious heart condition and that I will probably need surgery within the next five years. My mom being a mom freaked out and posted (without my permission) in a "church ladies" group on Facebook. I found out about it through my friends in the group and it was extremely detailed… meaning my whole condition. That was embarrassing for me. I have asked her in the past that I would just like to keep medical information within my immediate family… and she goes and does this!?!! This is invasion of my privacy, is it not?
I am 18 years old.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-15-2014, 04:29 AM

It is inconsiderate and rude. There is nothing ILLEGAL unless your Dr. posted it. The only legal privacy restrictions are Dr/medical and your lawyer.
If she posted it on facebook... the simple thing to do is post a comment, and state that you PREFERRED THAT THIS INFO not be made public..and insist that mom delete the post.

Ads

03-15-2014, 04:35 AM

While you may consider it to be an invasion of your privacy, your mother did nothing illegal. If you want your medical information to remain private, don't tell your mother. Parents are not bound by confidentiality laws.
03-15-2014, 04:51 AM

Lol. When it comes to parents, privacy goes out the window. Rest assured, she will tell everyone. It doesn't have to be on facebook. The phone works just as well.
03-15-2014, 04:56 AM

NO, you should have kept the results of your doctor's visit to yourself if you're a blabbermouth you have no one to blame but yourself.

>This is invasion of my privacy

Not if you allowed your mother to be present at the Drs. office or told her yourself NOBODY is under any obligation to keep anything you tell them secret no matter how much you ask, if you want it to be secret keep it to yourself.