This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is it worth it to get a professional Facebook profile?
10-15-2012, 07:50 PM
Is it worth it to get a professional Facebook profile?
Hello Everyone,

I am a senior in college now, and with the way the dismal employment market has been I have decided to start looking at ways to increase my chances of being hired.
One of these was creating a professional Facebook page besides creating a professional Twitter and LinkedIn.
The thing is that I’m anti-Facebook. I don’t have a personal Facebook for specific reasons such as the lack of privacy settings, don’t want to be harassed by my old classmates, and it has just never interested me.
However, having it for professional purposes might have to be something I need to look into because it seems like companies are now hiring based upon social networking sites and personal branding.
I wanted to see if anyone else thinks it’s worth it to have a professional FB page or what would be the best social networking avenue I should go about for getting hired?

Thanks!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-15-2012, 07:58 PM

Don 't go that. Do you really want to be fb friends with your boss?

Ads

Use linked in.
Do not use facebook it is not respected in the work force.

Lol

Most companies block social networking

Professionalism is demonstrated by degree completion, work experience and references

What kind of dumb company looks at Facebook to determine who to hire?

Lol

It's always though as a new grad. I would suggest: try everything.

I honestly don't think any serious employer would use FB for recruiting purpose, but in the spirit of trying everything, just try it out if it doesn't cost you too much time.

I am not a fan of Facebook. I did however create a page to network with other actors, writers, and directors. My only contacts on this page are professional actors, writers, producers and that I have worked with.

I write updates for professional use only. Whatever they post is fine, but I only use my page for networking with them.

You should create your own website, however. Put your resume, references, contact info, etc. On there. I will put a link to my website in the source panel. It is geared more toward entertainment and fan purposes, but it can give you an idea of what you can put together.