This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do I get my parents to let me make a facebook?
03-16-2014, 04:50 PM
How do I get my parents to let me make a facebook?
I'm 15 and my parents are totally against the whole myspace and facebook thing!! So they won't let me make a facebook and I really want to. All of my friends have one-even the ones with really strict parents. Even my mom has one but it was for a really stupid reason. So I think she should let me make one since she has one. So how do I get her to let me make one--I've tryed everything. Even my aunt talked to her!!! Please Help?!?!?!? :/

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-16-2014, 04:56 PM

Why don't you do it secretly? Obviously anything we say isn't going to help.

Ads

03-16-2014, 05:03 PM

Do it behind their backs ;D
03-16-2014, 05:10 PM

Maybe let your parents log in into your facebook, myspace, etc. once and a white to check how it is and if your being safe.
03-16-2014, 05:14 PM

Don't do it behind their backs. They will find out since they have a Facebook. Ask your mom if you can have one and then add her as a friend so she can check up on you and make sure you aren't doing anything stupid like posting nude pictures or talking to strangers. Maybe they will let you have one if you offer to give them your password to it even.
03-16-2014, 05:21 PM

Understand them and let them understand you.
Make an agreement between you and your parents.
03-16-2014, 05:34 PM

My child is 15 and we are going through the very same thing right now. Try to remember that it is only for your own protection that they are being protective. There was a case where a child had a facebook page with her photo on it. In the background of the photo her yearbook was sitting on a table. Some creepy stalker actually found her that way. It's scary because kids are sometimes young and naive and don't even know what to look out for. A friend of my child's actually has a facebook page that lists her school and favorite hangouts. This is what predators thrive on! I would say be very honest with your parents. Ask them to compromise with you, for example say you'll post no photos at first and they can have access any time they want and maybe even let them give you a limit of 5-10 friends (whom they know) who can have access to your page. Good Luck. Know that your parents are only doing this because they care. It's a scary world out there when it comes to the internet! Also, there are many safety websites about this, look them up, print them out and go over them with your parents. Show them that you are responsible and plan to be safe, and maybe they'll come around. Good luck!
03-16-2014, 05:39 PM

Just make one. how are they ever going to know?

you can use any computer to set it up, so just go to your friends house and go for it.

your parents are just worried you'll be preyed upon by peadophiles or other undesirables, but if you are careful and only add friends that you know in real life, there shouldnt be any problems. Your Olds will probably not appreciate it if you put naked pictures of yourlsef onit either, but Im sure you arent that dumb. You only get naked if you get paid or are in love (or ill i guess, for teh doc).

If you refuse to go against your parents wishes then you are a fine son/daughter, and you should jsut live by their rules until you leave home. I cant see the harm of just making an account behind their back.

If you really must convince them, why not do soem research in electronic social networks? Im sure you could make a killer argument if you lift some phrases from the marketing blurb for soem of these sites.

Good luck.

(I think facebook/myspace and all that is ghey, but I have to say superb for keeping in touch with friends who live out of the country etc
03-16-2014, 05:44 PM

Talk to them about and tell them how responsible you'll be using it. Also work something out if they don't like the fact that you might be on it all the time. Tell them you'll only use it for a certain amount of time on certain days of the week. Let them check it out too and show them how you can make the settings more private on your account so strangers can't see it.
03-16-2014, 05:59 PM

Don't tell them.