This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I'm wondering about college and my future?
03-17-2014, 06:33 AM
I'm wondering about college and my future?
Alright so I am 15 years old and a freshman in high school. I have a few questions about my future regarding what I should do and if my plans are a good idea or not. It would be really helpful to get some adult opinions besides my family on this.

Right now, my mom thinks I'm going to community college for 2 years then transferring to a university for the last 2 years and living with her until I graduate.

THAT IS SO NOT HAPPENING. There is no way I am living with my mother until I am 22/23 years old.

My dream is to work in the film industry. I want to go to community college for 2 years while living with my mom and working and earning and saving money so I can move to L.A.

I want to move to L.A. because I want to be a P.A. or a Production Assistant on movies. I would come home on the holidays (a ticket round trip from Lambert to LAX can be anywhere from 169-350 dollars without all the unnecessary perks like drinks, etc. It's about a 4 hour flight and it would be just me traveling.) I don't know how that's going to be in the 2020s, but I guess we won't know until then.

I know this sounds really stupid and risky but being in the film industry is my dream. If there is anyone out there with experience working on films in any way, please help! Also, what should my associate's degree be in that would help me get a job as a P.A.? I was thinking Communications or Cinematic Arts?

As for the people who think I won't be able to handle it- don't try to tell me I can't do it. That will only make me want to prove you wrong. I would try to get a roommate (even multiple roommates) to lighten the cost on rent for an apartment or something. Also, I KNOW living in L.A. is expensive, and I'm ready for that. Not many movies film in STL, and that's why I have to move to Hollywood. Up in the Air with George Clooney filmed for a little bit at Lambert here in STL, but that's about it. Also, I know being a P.A. can be tough. I am a highly organized person. I am ready to be pressured and rushed around and giving multiple tasks. I am a very efficient person. I am good at communicating and am always punctual. I know that being a P.A. means long work days, low wages, no insurance, and that taxes are weird. I know the traffic in L.A. is horrible, I know I won't have a social life while working on a film, etc.

I am prepared for all of that. And don't worry, if none of this works out, my back up plan is to double major in Psychology and Criminal Justice. (Again, I KNOW a double major is a lot of work, but as I said before, if you tell me I can't do it, it will only make me work harder.)

So my question is, what do you think? Should I go to college for 4 years instead? Would they hire a 20 year old as a P.A. or want someone with more education and say, 22/23 years old? Also what should I get a Associate's in if I do go to community college for 2 years?

Please give honest answers.

Thanks everyone!
Also, forgot to mention that my mother will be paying for community college if I do only go for 2 years and end up moving to L.A. afterwards. I figure I would only have minimal student loans if I only go to community college for 2 years and my mother would help pay for most of that also?

Additionally, don't even ask about my dad. He's broke and living in my uncle's basement in South St. Louis and he's never been a great dad (alcoholic)

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-17-2014, 06:47 AM

I think the best course of action is this: When you start college, get the requirements out of the way. In the mean time, talk to a guidance counselor, and get direction on classes you need to take to reach your goals. Also talk to others with similar interests, and get ideas, facts about how to get where you want to be. You are strong, but don't be afraid to seek answers and help to follow your dream. Lived in LA for 30 years, and it's not so bad. But don't just move there without some planning, and preparation. Budget time and money carefully,too.

Ads

03-17-2014, 06:59 AM

First off, your 15, and most 15 year olds I know do not have it set out like you do at the moment. You seem to be set clear in what you want, just a little unsure of how to get there.

I give you props on that. I like to hear teenagers having better things to think about than underage drinking and partying. Keep that focus, and I am sure you will achieve pretty high things. Keep at it.

Going to a community college is a good idea, only reason I avoided it, is because I went to college clueless about what I wanted to study, and did not want to take classes at my local community college only to find out that they do not transfer or whatever the reason may be. So I went straight into a 4 year university.

As for moving to LA, good luck. My cousin moved to LA, and he recently moved back home after a bit of bad luck with the industry he was trying to get into. So you are in for a tough market, which I am sure you are quite aware of as you have mentioned.

For now, focus on your high school education, and get those high scores and really good grades, it might help with scholarships (it will help). In the mean time, try to get as much hands on experience as you can, join your schools film club (or start one if it isn't there yet), find local clubs, internships, anything to help you gain the upper hand and get your foot into the door somewhere somehow.

Good luck!
03-17-2014, 07:14 AM

an Associate degree is not going to help you at all to get a job in the film industry

realize that is not just rent that is expensive in LA
Car insurance and health insurance in CA is way more expensive than most state

IF you plan on transferring to a 4 year college, then only take general education classes at a CC