This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Given the choice, would you want the funeral of your relative to be a public affair?
03-19-2014, 04:06 AM
Given the choice, would you want the funeral of your relative to be a public affair?
I ask given the fact that we now live in a very media savvy society. Within hours of the funeral yesterday, Mrs Thatchers grand daughter was trending on twitter for her looks and dress sense. People were commenting on Sam Cam's outfit. People were seen using their mobiles in the church and people who hardly knew Thatcher were there to basically social network. I personally would hate to see one of my relatives funerals be seen as a media circus. What are your thoughts?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-19-2014, 04:19 AM

i would if i could secure the tv rights

Ads

03-19-2014, 04:22 AM

I wouldn't but then none of my family members have any high-profile jobs lol. If I had a celebrity or famous politician as a family member and I thought it would be an appropriate send off and the deceased would be happy then I would.
03-19-2014, 04:29 AM

I wonder if I could sell tickets to mine if it was to be opened to the public to pay for the cost, hmm. Anyway when I go and RT is eccentric here, I'd like my procession to wander through the streets of Paris bringing the traffic to a halt as payback for the French farmers and air traffic controllers who have give one so much joy over the eons.
Twitter, cover your eyes young ones, is a social tool which panders to those that have a whole lot of nothing intelligent to say on a variety of topics, right you can open your eyes now.

A funeral is supposed to be well from my point of a celebration of someones life with a session in a pub afterwards for the stories and anecdotes, who cares what someone is wearing btw bunnies dress code for mine will be naturalist,
03-19-2014, 04:36 AM

No, I wouldn't want hangers on there.................also I wouldn't allow others to pay for it either, it would all be paid for within my own family.
03-19-2014, 04:38 AM

yes, mine will definitely be small, simple and dignified. as long as my close relatives are there[ and the older i get the fewer there will be,as we are a small family anyway] then that is what i want. can't stand these people who go to funerals so they can go to the after reception for a good feed and drink.
03-19-2014, 04:43 AM

If i had a mother like Maa T , i would want the very best funeral money could buy. she deserved the best and got the best. I expect that Sam Cam and others could have turned out immaculately and there would still be people who would find some criticism. The point is sam cam and every one else there was there has mourners, not clothes horses, and to be honest their presence wasn't germain to the main event which was the ceremonial service that laid a great woman to rest.
03-19-2014, 04:49 AM

All my " affairs " would be private,from choice.
It would depend on how lucky I got.
Funerals ,should be about calm remembrance,not entertainment,and political show boating.
03-19-2014, 04:50 AM

Let's face it, however much you liked or disliked Lady Thatcher her family can end their days in shame at leaving her to die on her own - where were they - out of the country and not at her bedside and any excuse is not acceptable for their absence; the medical staff would have informed them she was failing fast, the stroke would not have been foreseen but probably expected. With the "family" not in the country the Tories had to do something and their spin doctors spun out of control. It is a pity they did not think of spending the £8m on something useful and lasting as a memorial to our first woman Prime Minister, as for her family - they are neither use nor ornament.
03-19-2014, 05:03 AM

Although if one of my relatives had been significant people throughout their lives, I'd want and expect that to be ackowledged, basically there's no way I'd want that. But I'm me and my family isn't anywhere near the same as the Thatcher family!!!

I don't know about what Mrs. C was wearing - I could care less (and at least she did wear a head covering this time!). What bothered me more was the occasional times she was on camera, smirking! That I didn't like. Maybe she found something amusing about the service yesterday!!

Don't knock social, or other, networking btw.